all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Empty buffer
@ 2006-02-04 22:23 BRUCE INGALLS
From: BRUCE INGALLS @ 2006-02-04 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

<aside>
After some critiques of the internationalization of the EMacro site, I
put it back into English. On the home page, only, there is an i18n tab
to google-translate it to your native language. Let me know if such is
useful.

I noticed that it is not possible to have XHTML 1.1 compliant PHP, as
PHP chokes on
<?xml
tags. Feel free, to steer me to the proper resource for such.
</aside>

<Emacs>
What I am trying to do, is grab the first IP address, which is not a
netmask, nor 127.0.0.1.
Here is my first attempt:

  (require 'net-utils)
  (save-excursion
    (ipconfig)
    (set-buffer "*Ipconfig*")
    (goto-char (point-min))
    (search-forward-regexp "[0-9]" nil t)
    (match-beginning 1)))

Unfortunately, I cannot capture the output of ipconfig():

  (save-excursion
    (ipconfig)
    (set-buffer "*Ipconfig*")
    (buffer-string)))

Thanks for any help!
</Emacs>

* Re: Empty buffer
@ 2006-02-06 19:04 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-02-06 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

BRUCE INGALLS wrote:
> What I am trying to do, is grab the first IP address, which is not a
> netmask, nor 127.0.0.1.
> Here is my first attempt:
>
>   (require 'net-utils)
>   (save-excursion
>     (ipconfig)
>     (set-buffer "*Ipconfig*")
>     (goto-char (point-min))
>     (search-forward-regexp "[0-9]" nil t)
>     (match-beginning 1)))
>
> Unfortunately, I cannot capture the output of ipconfig():
>
>   (save-excursion
>     (ipconfig)
>     (set-buffer "*Ipconfig*")
>     (buffer-string)))

That's because ipconfig uses start-process (via net-utils-run-program)
to run netstat-program as a subprocess, and its complete output is not
immediately available.  But since net-utils-run-program returns the
buffer:

(save-excursion
   (let* ((ipconfig-buffer (ipconfig))
          (ipconfig-process (get-buffer-process ipconfig-buffer)))
     (while (eq (process-status ipconfig-process) 'run)
       (sit-for 0 10 t))
     (set-buffer ipconfig-buffer)
     (buffer-string)))

--