all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* diary questions
@ 2005-12-27 10:31 Emabela
From: Emabela @ 2005-12-27 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello everybody,

1)

How can I specify that no holidays should be displayed?

That is, no (Chinese or Gregorian) New Year,

no Easter, no Equinox, no Christmas, etc

Only those, that I specify myself in ~/diary (or in ~/.emacs).

2)

How can I specify the date formats emacs uses in ~/diary?

2a) I would like that if I insert a yearly entry (i y),

then emacs would put an entry into ~/diary like

full-monthname-as-in-calendar-month-name-array  day. THE-IMPORTANT-EVENT-ON
-THIS-DAY

How can I specify this?

Now, emacs inserts an entry like

first-3-letters-of-calendar-month-name-array day THE-IMPORTANT-EVENT-ON-THI
S-DAY

which is misleading, because the first 3 letters of some monthnames

match  the first 3 letters of some daynames...

2b)

How can I change the american format MM DD YYYY used in diary-anniversary t

YYYY MM DD?

(And the same in diary-block.)

I use GNU Emacs 21.3.1 and I have

(setq diary-date-forms '(

  (monthname day)

  (monthname "," day)

  (day "/" month "[^/0-9]")

  (day "/" month "/" year "[^0-9]")

  (backup day " *" monthname "\\W+\\<\\([^*0-9]\\|\\([0-9]+[:aApP]\\)\\)
")

  (day " *" monthname " *" year "[^0-9]")

  (dayname "\\W")

  (year ". " month ". " day "[.\\(,\\)?]?" )

 )

)

in my .emacs.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Regards,

B.

--------------------------Hirdetés-----------------------------

INTERNETES NYELVTANULÁS!

Tanulj ANGOLUL, NÉMETÜL kedvezményes áron a Médiabóval!

3 Féle intenzitás; 3 Szint; Hanganyag CD-k; Ingyenes konzultáció!

http://www.mediabo.hu/akcio/vipmail/jelentkezesi_lap.html

* Re: diary questions
@ 2005-12-27 17:46 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-12-27 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Emabela wrote:
 > 1)
 > How can I specify that no holidays should be displayed?
 >
 > That is, no (Chinese or Gregorian) New Year,
 > no Easter, no Equinox, no Christmas, etc
 >
 > Only those, that I specify myself in ~/diary (or in ~/.emacs).

(setq calendar-holidays nil)

(setq other-holidays '(...))

,----[ C-h v diary-date-forms RET ]
| diary-date-forms's value is
| ((month "/" day "[^/0-9]")
|  (month "/" day "/" year "[^0-9]")
|  (monthname " *" day "[^,0-9]")
|  (monthname " *" day ", *" year "[^0-9]")
|  (dayname "\\W"))
|

| Documentation:
| *List of pseudo-patterns describing the forms of date used in the diary.
| The patterns on the list must be MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE and must not match
| any portion of the diary entry itself, just the date component.
|
| A pseudo-pattern is a list of regular expressions and the keywords
`month',
| `day', `year', `monthname', and `dayname'.  The keyword `monthname' will
| match the name of the month, capitalized or not, or its three-letter
| abbreviation, followed by a period or not; it will also match `*'.
| Similarly, `dayname' will match the name of the day, capitalized or
not, or
| its three-letter abbreviation, followed by a period or not.  The keywords
| `month', `day', and `year' will match those numerical values, preceded by
| arbitrarily many zeros; they will also match `*'.
|
| The matching of the diary entries with the date forms is done with the
| standard syntax table from Fundamental mode, but with the `*' changed so
| that it is a word constituent.
|
| If, to be mutually exclusive, a pseudo-pattern must match a portion of the
| diary entry itself, the first element of the pattern MUST be `backup'.
  This

`----

 > 2a) I would like that if I insert a yearly entry (i y),
 > then emacs would put an entry into ~/diary like
 >
 > full-monthname-as-in-calendar-month-name-array  day.
THE-IMPORTANT-EVENT-ON
 > -THIS-DAY
 >
 > How can I specify this?
 > Now, emacs inserts an entry like
 >
 > first-3-letters-of-calendar-month-name-array day
THE-IMPORTANT-EVENT-ON-THI
 > S-DAY
 >
 > which is misleading, because the first 3 letters of some monthnames
 > match  the first 3 letters of some daynames...

You can't, because the insert-*-diary-entry commands all explicitly
specify a non-nil ABBREVIATE argument when they call
calendar-date-string, e.g.

     (make-diary-entry (calendar-date-string (calendar-cursor-to-date t) t)
                       arg)

 > 2b)
 >
 > How can I change the american format MM DD YYYY used in
diary-anniversary t

 > YYYY MM DD?
 >
 > (And the same in diary-block.)

I've no idea.  diary-anniversary is unreadable, with all its free references
to dynamically bound variables.

 > I use GNU Emacs 21.3.1 and I have
 >
 > (setq diary-date-forms '(
 >   (monthname day)
 >   (monthname "," day)
 >   (day "/" month "[^/0-9]")
 >   (day "/" month "/" year "[^0-9]")
 >   (backup day " *" monthname
"\\W+\\<\\([^*0-9]\\|\\([0-9]+[:aApP]\\)\\)

--
Kevin

* Re: diary questions
@ 2005-12-28 12:18 Emabela
From: Emabela @ 2005-12-28 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you for your help.

>(setq calendar-holidays nil)

This works perfectly.

>(setq other-holidays '(...))

 > 2a) I would like that if I insert a yearly entry (i y),

 > then emacs would put an entry into ~/diary like

 > full-monthname-as-in-calendar-month-name-array  day. THE-IMPORTANT-EV
ENT-ON

 > -THIS-DAY

> You can't, because the insert-*-diary-entry commands all explicitly

> specify a non-nil ABBREVIATE argument when they call

> calendar-date-string, e.g.

> (make-diary-entry (calendar-date-string (calendar-cursor-to-date t) t)

> arg)

Perhaps in the next/cvs version?

> 2b)

> How can I change the american format MM DD YYYY used in

> diary-anniversary to

> YYYY MM DD?

> I've no idea.  diary-anniversary is unreadable, with all its free refe
rences

> to dynamically bound variables.

There must be a solution for this, because

(european-calendar) changes this from MM DD YYYY to DD MM YYYY,

according to the documentation.

Thanks for your help.

@ 2005-12-28 18:39 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-12-28 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Emabela wrote:
 > > > 2a)
 > > > I would like that if I insert a yearly entry (i y), then emacs
 > > > would put an entry into ~/diary like
 > > >
 > > > full-monthname-as-in-calendar-month-name-array  day.
THE-IMPORTANT-EVENT-ON-THIS-DAY

 > > You can't, because the insert-*-diary-entry commands all explicitly
 > > specify a non-nil ABBREVIATE argument when they call
 > > calendar-date-string, e.g.
 > >
 > > (make-diary-entry (calendar-date-string (calendar-cursor-to-date t)
t) arg)

 > Perhaps in the next/cvs version?

It would be easy to (defvar diary-entry-abbreviate t) and replace the
ABBREVIATE argument with diary-entry-abbreviate.  Then users like
yourself could just (setq diary-entry-abbreviate nil).

 > > > 2b)
 > > > How can I change the american format MM DD YYYY used in
 > > > diary-anniversary to YYYY MM DD?
 > >
 > > I've no idea.  diary-anniversary is unreadable, with all its free
 > > references to dynamically bound variables.
 >
 > There must be a solution for this, because
 > (european-calendar) changes this from MM DD YYYY to DD MM YYYY,
 > according to the documentation.

Indeed.  Try frobbing american-date-diary-pattern.

 > Thanks for your help.

You're welcome!
--
Kevin