all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Mode hooks WAS: icicles lisp-mode dabbrev-completion
@ 2005-12-19 21:08 Emabela
From: Emabela @ 2005-12-19 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello everybody,

 Excuse me in advance if this post is too long or too simple,

 but I could not find any solution.

 My primary goal was:

 To use tab in every mode (including lisp-mode)

 for dabbrev-completion.

 I could not achieve it.

 During a correspondence with Drew Adams, who

 helped me very much, I simplified the to the following situation:

 Bind tab to beginning-of-line in lisp-mode.

 Hence, in my first test I used the following very short .emacs:

 (defun my-lisp-addons ()

 (progn

 (print "my-lisp-addons is running")

 (local-unset-key "\t")

 (local-set-key [(tab)] 'beginning-of-line)))

 (add-hook 'lisp-mode-hook 'my-lisp-addons)

 If I start: emacs --debug-init /tmp/some.el,

 then the buffer is in lisp-mode,

 but my-lisp-addons does not run.

 The same, if I open /tmp/some.el with C-x C-f.

 But if I type in M-x lisp-mode, then it works, of course.

 On the other hand, if .emacs contains:

 (define-key lisp-mode-map "\t" 'beginning-of-line)

 then lisp-mode-map is

 (keymap (9 . beginning-of-line) (3 keymap (26 . run-lisp)) (27 keymap (24
 . lisp-eval-defun) keymap (17 . indent-sexp)) keymap (127 . backward-delete
-char-untabify) (27 keymap (17 . indent-sexp)) (9 . lisp-indent-line))

 that is, emacs has two functions to execute on tab.

 (And emacs executes the second one.)

 My questions are:

 1) Exactly when are these hooks called?

Are they called when an existing file (without ;-*-Lisp-*-) is opened?

I am a bit confused about this because in the first test,

emacs is in lisp mode according to the mode line, but

my-lisp-addons is not called.

 2) Should I  use auto-mode-alist instead?

 3) There are global-set-key and local-set-key,

 and their "removing" counterparts: global-unset-key and local-unset-key.

 Is there a "removing" counterpart to define-key?

 ;where I can specify from which keymap the tab should be removed.

 Thanks for any help.

 Regards,

 B.

 Ps: Excuse me for my bad english...

--------------------------Hirdetés-----------------------------

KORLÁTLAN ADSL KEDVEZŐ ÁRON

Gyors beszerelés, teljes körű ügyfélszolgálat.

Ennél kedvezőbbet nem talál!

http://www.vipdsl.hu

* Re: Mode hooks WAS: icicles lisp-mode dabbrev-completion
@ 2005-12-19 21:56 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-12-19 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Emabela wrote:
 >  During a correspondence with Drew Adams, who
 >  helped me very much, I simplified the to the following situation:
 >
 >  Bind tab to beginning-of-line in lisp-mode.
 >
 >  Hence, in my first test I used the following very short .emacs:
 >  (defun my-lisp-addons ()
 >  (progn
 >  (print "my-lisp-addons is running")
 >  (local-unset-key "\t")
 >  (local-set-key [(tab)] 'beginning-of-line)))
 >  (add-hook 'lisp-mode-hook 'my-lisp-addons)
 >
 >  If I start: emacs --debug-init /tmp/some.el,
 >  then the buffer is in lisp-mode,

No, the buffer is in emacs-lisp-mode (C-h v major-mode).

 >  but my-lisp-addons does not run.
 >
 >  The same, if I open /tmp/some.el with C-x C-f.
 >
 >  But if I type in M-x lisp-mode, then it works, of course.

Naturally.

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: Mode hooks WAS: icicles lisp-mode dabbrev-completion
@ 2005-12-20  5:05 Emabela
From: Emabela @ 2005-12-20  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

>No, the buffer is in emacs-lisp-mode (C-h v major-mode).

Amazing! This one line explained everything! Great!

Thank you very much.

Regards, B.