all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Wrong type argument: integerp, nil
@ 2005-12-03 18:21 kevin bailey
From: kevin bailey @ 2005-12-03 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

i'm editing files over FTP using standard debian sarge emacs21 on the
console and i keep getting the system bell beeping and a message appearing
saying

Wrong type argument: integerp, nil

messages on google groups all relate to email reading which i am not using
emacs for.

any pointers?

thanks,

kev

* Re: Wrong type argument: integerp, nil
@ 2005-12-03 18:31 ` Pascal Bourguignon
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2005-12-03 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

kevin bailey <kbailey@freewayprojects.com> writes:

> i'm editing files over FTP using standard debian sarge emacs21 on the
> console and i keep getting the system bell beeping and a message appearing
> saying
>
> Wrong type argument: integerp, nil
>
> messages on google groups all relate to email reading which i am not using
> emacs for.
>
> any pointers?

M-x set-variable RET debug-on-error RET t RET

Then do whatever you do to get the error again, and show us the
*Backtrace* buffer contents.

In deep sleep hear sound,
Cat vomit hairball somewhere.
Will find in morning.

* Re: Wrong type argument: integerp, nil
@ 2005-12-03 19:29   ` kevin bailey
From: kevin bailey @ 2005-12-03 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pascal Bourguignon wrote:

> kevin bailey <kbailey@freewayprojects.com> writes:
>
>> i'm editing files over FTP using standard debian sarge emacs21 on the
>> console and i keep getting the system bell beeping and a message
>> appearing saying
>>
>> Wrong type argument: integerp, nil
>>
>> messages on google groups all relate to email reading which i am not
>> using emacs for.
>>
>> any pointers?
>
> M-x set-variable RET debug-on-error RET t RET
>
> Then do whatever you do to get the error again, and show us the
> *Backtrace* buffer contents.

thanks,

the output just shoved on to the screen is:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument integerp nil)
  set-file-modes("/tmp/#edit.php#" nil)
  tramp-set-auto-save-file-modes()
  run-hooks(auto-save-hook)

so i take it that the ftp user i have logged in as is not allowed to write
to /tmp.  i wonder of this is trying to save it on the remote server.

what i need to do now is find out how to set the autosave function to save
to the local machine.

thanks for your help - it'll help me track down further problems,

@ 2005-12-06  0:13     ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-12-06  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

kevin bailey wrote:
 > Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument integerp nil)
 >   set-file-modes("/tmp/#edit.php#" nil)
 >   tramp-set-auto-save-file-modes()
 >   run-hooks(auto-save-hook)
 >
 > so i take it that the ftp user i have logged in as is not allowed to
write
 > to /tmp.  i wonder of this is trying to save it on the remote server.

I take it that tramp-set-auto-save-file-modes could not determine the
proper permissions for the "/tmp/#edit.php#" auto save file.

,----[ C-h f set-file-modes RET ]

`----

--
Kevin Rodgers