all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* HOWTO: Ispell multiple regions?
@ 2005-10-18  2:00 Ilya Zakharevich
From: Ilya Zakharevich @ 2005-10-18  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have some ELisp code to select several regions in my file (e.g.,
those having text property ispell).  How would I Ispell these regions?

AFAIC, ispell-region() does not provide a way to query "the status of
operation".  Thus my idea is that the following code:

  (my-map-regions
   (function
    (lambda (s e)
      (ispell-region s e)
      ;; Bulk out if user pressed 'x' or 'q' - but HOWTO?
      )))

would not be easily breakable out by 'x' or 'q'.

Now what?

Thanks,
Ilya

* Re: HOWTO: Ispell multiple regions?
@ 2005-10-18  4:18 ` Edward O'Connor
       [not found] ` <mailman.11699.1129609328.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Edward O'Connor @ 2005-10-18  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ilya Zakharevich wrote:

> How would I Ispell these regions?

Have you seen multi-region.el? I think it does exactly what you want.

               http://purl.org/NET/wence/multi-region.el

Ted

--
Edward O'Connor
hober0@gmail.com

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.

@ 2005-10-18  8:51   ` Ilya Zakharevich
From: Ilya Zakharevich @ 2005-10-18  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Edward O'Connor
<hober0@gmail.com>], who wrote in article <mailman.11699.1129609328.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>:
> > How would I Ispell these regions?

> Have you seen multi-region.el? I think it does exactly what you want.
>
>                http://purl.org/NET/wence/multi-region.el

I do not have a slightest idea how this may relate to my problem
(ispell not returning the status).  I do not see any problem with
applying commands to multiple regions - unless they may want to stop
prematurely...

@ 2005-10-18 18:23 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found] ` <mailman.11780.1129660075.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-10-18 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
 > I have some ELisp code to select several regions in my file (e.g.,
 > those having text property ispell).  How would I Ispell these regions?
 >
 > AFAIC, ispell-region() does not provide a way to query "the status of
 > operation".  Thus my idea is that the following code:
 >
 >   (my-map-regions
 >    (function
 >     (lambda (s e)
 >       (ispell-region s e)
 >       ;; Bulk out if user pressed 'x' or 'q' - but HOWTO?
 >       )))
 >
 > would not be easily breakable out by 'x' or 'q'.

What commands are invoked by `x' and `q' in ispell-region?

You could advise those commands to throw to a tag that you establish
with catch.

--
Kevin Rodgers

@ 2005-10-18 19:53   ` Ilya Zakharevich
From: Ilya Zakharevich @ 2005-10-18 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers
<ihs_4664@yahoo.com>], who wrote in article <mailman.11780.1129660075.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>:
>  > AFAIC, ispell-region() does not provide a way to query "the status of
>  > operation".  Thus my idea is that the following code:
>  >
>  >   (my-map-regions
>  >    (function
>  >     (lambda (s e)
>  >       (ispell-region s e)
>  >       ;; Bulk out if user pressed 'x' or 'q' - but HOWTO?
>  >       )))
>  >
>  > would not be easily breakable out by 'x' or 'q'.
>
> What commands are invoked by `x' and `q' in ispell-region?
>
> You could advise those commands to throw to a tag that you establish
> with catch.

No such command.  See `ispell-command-loop'.  Of course, one could
advise ispell-command-loop itself to propagate ispell-quit (which is
going to be reset to nil later) to, e.g., ispell-quit-pos.

Is it possible to do advising "locally" (like let()ting), so it is
automatically undone when the calling function exits?

@ 2005-10-19  0:15     ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-10-19  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)