all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* starting emacsclient with emacs --daemon
@ 2020-01-28 18:29 J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2020-01-28 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

For years, I've started emacs with the --daemon option.   Then I've been able
to start emacsclient with
emacsclient -c -n, and got a new empty window to use as I please.

Sometime in the not too distant past, this changed.  If I run
emacsclient -c -n, a window opens, then closes immediately.

Have I missed a note in "what's new" somewhere about changed functionality?

Or has my memory totally gone belly up?

Now I've been using

emacsclient -c

to get a window to open, and do what I want, but that still leaves the
terminal locked.

* Re: starting emacsclient with emacs --daemon
@ 2020-01-29 16:55 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-01-29 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: dboyd@attentigroup.com (J. David Boyd)
> Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 13:29:20 -0500
>
> For years, I've started emacs with the --daemon option.   Then I've been able
> to start emacsclient with
> emacsclient -c -n, and got a new empty window to use as I please.
>
> Sometime in the not too distant past, this changed.  If I run
> emacsclient -c -n, a window opens, then closes immediately.

You forgot to tell in which version of Emacs do you see this, and on
what OS.

* Re: starting emacsclient with emacs --daemon
@ 2020-01-29 17:25   ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2020-01-29 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: dboyd@attentigroup.com (J. David Boyd)
>> Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 13:29:20 -0500
>>
>> For years, I've started emacs with the --daemon option.   Then I've been able
>> to start emacsclient with
>> emacsclient -c -n, and got a new empty window to use as I please.
>>
>> Sometime in the not too distant past, this changed.  If I run
>> emacsclient -c -n, a window opens, then closes immediately.
>
> You forgot to tell in which version of Emacs do you see this, and on
> what OS.

Sorry.  Emacs 26.3, under Cygwin running under Windows 10.

Dave in Hudson, FL

* Re: starting emacsclient with emacs --daemon
@ 2020-01-29 17:40     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-01-29 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: dboyd@attentigroup.com (J. David Boyd)
> Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2020 12:25:32 -0500
>
> > You forgot to tell in which version of Emacs do you see this, and on
> > what OS.
>
> Sorry.  Emacs 26.3, under Cygwin running under Windows 10.

Thanks.  But this still leaves a bit of uncertainty: there are 2
Cygwin builds of Emacs -- one needs an X server, the other uses the
MS-Windows (a.k.a. "w32") GUI toolkit.  Which one do you use?

* Re: starting emacsclient with emacs --daemon
@ 2020-01-29 18:06       ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2020-01-29 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: dboyd@attentigroup.com (J. David Boyd)
>> Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2020 12:25:32 -0500
>>
>> > You forgot to tell in which version of Emacs do you see this, and on
>> > what OS.
>>
>> Sorry.  Emacs 26.3, under Cygwin running under Windows 10.
>
> Thanks.  But this still leaves a bit of uncertainty: there are 2
> Cygwin builds of Emacs -- one needs an X server, the other uses the
> MS-Windows (a.k.a. "w32") GUI toolkit.  Which one do you use?

Yes it does.  :-)

I'm using the version that runs natively - /usr/bin/emacs-w32.exe

* Re: starting emacsclient with emacs --daemon
@ 2020-01-29 18:30         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-01-29 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: dboyd@attentigroup.com (J. David Boyd)
> Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2020 13:06:39 -0500
>
> >> Sorry.  Emacs 26.3, under Cygwin running under Windows 10.
> >
> > Thanks.  But this still leaves a bit of uncertainty: there are 2
> > Cygwin builds of Emacs -- one needs an X server, the other uses the
> > MS-Windows (a.k.a. "w32") GUI toolkit.  Which one do you use?
>
> Yes it does.  :-)
>
> I'm using the version that runs natively - /usr/bin/emacs-w32.exe

OK, thanks.  I suspect that what you see is due to a change we madde
in Emacs 26, which was found to cause too much trouble, and thus was
reverted for Emacs 27.  So I suggest to try a snapshot of the Emacs 27
codebase, this problem might be fixed there.

* Re: starting emacsclient with emacs --daemon
@ 2020-01-30 17:42           ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2020-01-30 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: dboyd@attentigroup.com (J. David Boyd)
>> Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2020 13:06:39 -0500

>> > Thanks.  But this still leaves a bit of uncertainty: there are 2
>> > Cygwin builds of Emacs -- one needs an X server, the other uses the
>> > MS-Windows (a.k.a. "w32") GUI toolkit.  Which one do you use?
>>
>> Yes it does.  :-)
>>
>> I'm using the version that runs natively - /usr/bin/emacs-w32.exe
>
> OK, thanks.  I suspect that what you see is due to a change we madde
> in Emacs 26, which was found to cause too much trouble, and thus was
> reverted for Emacs 27.  So I suggest to try a snapshot of the Emacs 27
> codebase, this problem might be fixed there.

Thanks so much for your info, but it turns out the problem was between my
ears.

Once you mentioned the 2 versions of emacs, one for X server, one for native,
that struck a chord.

So I went back to the X server version, and emacsclient -c -n works just fine
there.  I was thinking that something had changed in emacs, but instead I had
changed the very emacs I was using.

Sorry for the bother, I can live with emacs working as it does under Cygwin
with the native version.  I just didn't understand what had changed.

Thanks again!

Dave in Hudson, FL