all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Auto xml end-tag
@ 2005-09-21 10:56 Trond Hersløv
From: Trond Hersløv @ 2005-09-21 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!
I am myself not able to program to new things into my emacs, but I have a strong wish for a certain functionality.
Maybe there already exists a library that someone can show me how to include, of if not, maybe some of you also thinks this is a good idea, and actually make the effort to program it.

Much of my work nowdays includes writing som kind of sgml based text files: XML, HTML, JSP, config files (eg. Apache webserver) etc.
One of the biggest problems with these textfiles is the mismatch of start and end tag. For example:
<MyTag>This is the body</Mytag>
Errors like this is often in a big file hard to find, so my whish for a new functionality is this:

After I have written <MyTag> or <MyTag attr1="test" attr="hello"> I could press e.g Ctrl-t and emacs would insert </MyTag> for me.
It would very nice if it could work recursiv ofcourse, but if it only works for the last tag, it would be fine too.

Who can help me?
Freiendly regards
Trond

This email message has been swept by

* Re: Auto xml end-tag
       [not found] <mailman.7833.1127300596.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-09-21 13:32 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2005-09-21 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Trond Hersløv <trond.herslov@GOTOGATE.no> writes:

> Hi!
> I am myself not able to program to new things into my emacs, but I have a
> strong wish for a certain functionality.
> Maybe there already exists a library that someone can show me how to include,
> of if not, maybe some of you also thinks this is a good idea, and actually make
> the effort to program it.
>
> Much of my work nowdays includes writing som kind of sgml based text files:
> XML, HTML, JSP, config files (eg. Apache webserver) etc.
>
> One of the biggest problems with these textfiles is the mismatch of start and
> end tag. For example:
> <MyTag>This is the body</Mytag>
> Errors like this is often in a big file hard to find, so my whish for a new
> functionality is this:
>
> After I have written <MyTag> or <MyTag attr1="test" attr="hello"> I could press
> e.g Ctrl-t and emacs would insert </MyTag> for me.
>
> It would very nice if it could work recursiv ofcourse, but if it only works for
> the last tag, it would be fine too.
>
> Who can help me?
> Freiendly regards
> Trond

> This email message has been swept by

Check out both emacs psgml mode and nxml mode. I find nxml mode very
good for creating xml documents. Psgml mode is more general and
requires more configuration to get working exactly as you want, but
its a very good and powerful mode.

Check out http://www.emacswiki.org for more information.

Tim

--
Tim Cross

* Re: Auto xml end-tag
@ 2005-09-21 13:42 ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-09-21 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Trond Hersløv wrote:

> Hi!
> I am myself not able to program to new things into my emacs, but I
> have a strong wish for a certain functionality.
> Maybe there already exists a library that someone can show me how to
> include, of if not, maybe some of you also thinks this is a good idea,
> and actually make the effort to program it.
>
> Much of my work nowdays includes writing som kind of sgml based text
> files: XML, HTML, JSP, config files (eg. Apache webserver) etc.
>
> One of the biggest problems with these textfiles is the mismatch of
> start and end tag. For example:
> <MyTag>This is the body</Mytag>
> Errors like this is often in a big file hard to find, so my whish for
> a new functionality is this:
>
> After I have written <MyTag> or <MyTag attr1="test" attr="hello"> I
> could press e.g Ctrl-t and emacs would insert </MyTag> for me.
>
> It would very nice if it could work recursiv ofcourse, but if it only
> works for the last tag, it would be fine too.

Maybe you should look into nxml-mode. Look at http://www.emacswiki.org/
for some starting info about it.

* Re: Auto xml end-tag
@ 2005-09-21 14:10 ` Magnus Henoch
From: Magnus Henoch @ 2005-09-21 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Trond Hersløv <trond.herslov@GOTOGATE.no> writes:

> After I have written <MyTag> or <MyTag attr1="test" attr="hello"> I
> could press e.g Ctrl-t and emacs would insert </MyTag> for me.

In sgml-mode, C-c / does that.

Magnus

@ 2005-09-22 15:02 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-09-22 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> <MyTag>This is the body</Mytag>

The sgml-mode.el distributed with Emacs has C-c / to close the tag, tho it's
only available in the Emacs-CVS code (i.e. in the Emacs-22 release when it
comes out).
Of course, there's also psgml and nxml.  Additionally, you may be able to
just use <MyTag>This is the body</> which IIRC is perfectly valid XML.

* Re: Auto xml end-tag
@ 2005-09-22 20:35   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-09-22 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Monnier wrote:
 > The sgml-mode.el distributed with Emacs has C-c / to close the tag,
tho it's
 > only available in the Emacs-CVS code (i.e. in the Emacs-22 release
when it
 > comes out).
 > Of course, there's also psgml and nxml.  Additionally, you may be able to
 > just use <MyTag>This is the body</> which IIRC is perfectly valid XML.

It is valid SGML only if "SHORTTAG YES" is specified in the SGML
declaration, but it is not valid XML:

http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xml-20040204/#sec-logical-struct

--
Kevin Rodgers