all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* lisp, gnus, rmail or vm questions
@ 2005-09-12  3:05 David Chmelik
       [not found] ` <mailman.6784.1126544886.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Chmelik @ 2005-09-12  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there a way to stop gnus from reloading everything each time, does it
not save headers?  I found a listserv post about it which said delete
.newsrc, but i use thunderbird to search and make .newsrc... if it is
different format maybe i should anyway and try apropos.
     Where do you put .el plugins?  The el site i found seems to assume
one knows the dir and lisp... i put rmime.el in el dir, which was wrong
i guess.  I know a little lisp from a general cs class and would like to
learn it in emacs.
     Can you do more in vm than rmail?  If not i avoid gui anyway... i
tried installing vm a couple weeks ago but it did not appear in menus.

* Re: lisp, gnus, rmail or vm questions
@ 2005-09-12 17:01 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found] ` <mailman.6784.1126544886.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-09-12 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Chmelik wrote:
 > Is there a way to stop gnus from reloading everything each time, does
 > it not save headers?  I found a listserv post about it which said
 > delete .newsrc, but i use thunderbird to search and make .newsrc... if
 > it is different format maybe i should anyway and try apropos.

I don't know.  You might want to ask on gnu.emacs.gnus

 > Where do you put .el plugins?  The el site i found seems to assume one
 > knows the dir and lisp... i put rmime.el in el dir, which was wrong i
 > guess.  I know a little lisp from a general cs class and would like to
 > learn it in emacs.

You can put .el files (Emacs Lisp libraries) anywhere you'd like, as
long as that directory is in your load-path (C-h v).  If you have write
permission in the version-independent site-lisp directory, that's the
conventional place to put them; otherwise, create a subdirectory in your
home directory for personal add-ons.

Read the Lisp Libraries node of the Emacs manual, and the Byte
Compilation node of the Emacs Lisp manual that it references.

 > Can you do more in vm than rmail?  If not i avoid gui anyway... i
 > tried installing vm a couple weeks ago but it did not appear in menus.

You can definitely do more in VM than Rmail, especially with MIME
support and virtual folders.  Since VM isn't part of Emacs, you should
post a more specific question on gnu.emacs.vm.info

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: lisp, gnus & mail
       [not found] ` <mailman.6784.1126544886.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-09-13  3:32   ` David Chmelik
From: David Chmelik @ 2005-09-13  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

> You can put .el files (Emacs Lisp libraries) anywhere you'd like, as
> long as that directory is in your load-path (C-h v).  If you have write
> permission in the version-independent site-lisp directory, that's the
> conventional place to put them; otherwise, create a subdirectory in your
> home directory for personal add-ons.
>
> Read the Lisp Libraries node of the Emacs manual, and the Byte
> Compilation node of the Emacs Lisp manual that it references.

Thanks, I found a dir to put rmime.el in... i wonder if it would be
possible to make rmail open dirs before choosing an RMAIL or instead of
XMAIL default... i should look at the rmail & gnus lisp.
My slackware cd must be corrupt because emacs has no lisp info, i hope
it is on the .iso which i will reinstall without copying to cd 1st.