all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* wrong type argument commandp defadvice
@ 2005-09-12  9:54 cerios
From: cerios @ 2005-09-12  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, I got this error
     wrong type argument commandp defadvice
on visiting a .tex file, and then emacs mostly froze - the menus
were still active, but I could not move the cursor or do any
command using the menu, even quit.

It's not nicely repeatable -  I visited the same .tex file again
and it did not happen.  I've at least one other similar error recently.

This is on 22.0.50.1 on a mac.

If anything I suspect something related to the jde package, though
I don't know where to begin to deal with this.

Annoying... emacs was rock solid for ages; I wish I could
(Another recent problem - I found I was saving files in a unicode
character set, NOT something I wanted!   Somehow got it to stop
that before a large number of my files were msessed up).

Thanks for any suggestions

* Re: wrong type argument commandp defadvice
@ 2005-09-12 10:38 ` Ralf Angeli
From: Ralf Angeli @ 2005-09-12 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

* cerios (2005-09-12) writes:

> Hi, I got this error
>      wrong type argument commandp defadvice
> on visiting a .tex file, and then emacs mostly froze - the menus
> were still active, but I could not move the cursor or do any
> command using the menu, even quit.

Could you please type `M-x toggle-debug-on-error RET', reproduce the
error and post the backtrace (in case you get one)?

> It's not nicely repeatable -  I visited the same .tex file again
> and it did not happen.  I've at least one other similar error recently.

Do you get the same error if you copy the line
(defadvice foo (after bar activate))
into the *scratch* buffer, place point after the last parenthesis and
type `C-x C-e'?

> This is on 22.0.50.1 on a mac.
>
> If anything I suspect something related to the jde package, though
> I don't know where to begin to deal with this.
>
> Annoying... emacs was rock solid for ages; I wish I could

Are you aware that you are running a development version of Emacs?

--
Ralf