all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Calling `compile` command on a remote host
@ 2005-09-05 14:13 Anakreon
From: Anakreon @ 2005-09-05 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

I use tramp to edit files on a remote host from within emacs.
This works fine but I'd prefer to call the [Alt+x compile] command on those
files. Now I use ssh to call 'make' on the remote host which has the disadvantage
that the errors found during compilation are reported on the console.

Is there a way to convince the compile command to call 'make' on the remote host
via ssh?

* Re: Calling `compile` command on a remote host
       [not found] <mailman.5954.1125932329.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-09-05 16:26 ` Pascal Bourguignon
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2005-09-05 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Anakreon <anakreonmejdi@yahoo.gr> writes:

> I use tramp to edit files on a remote host from within emacs.
> This works fine but I'd prefer to call the [Alt+x compile] command on those
> files. Now I use ssh to call 'make' on the remote host which has the disadvantage
> that the errors found during compilation are reported on the console.
>
> Is there a way to convince the compile command to call 'make' on the remote host
> via ssh?

M-x compile RET C-a ssh remote  RET
M-x compile RET C-a ssh remote 'cd remotedir ; C-e ' RET

Kitty like plastic.
Confuses for litter box.
Don't leave tarp around.

* Re: Calling `compile` command on a remote host
@ 2005-09-05 20:46 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2005-09-05 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Anakreon <anakreonmejdi@yahoo.gr> writes:

> I use tramp to edit files on a remote host from within emacs.
> This works fine but I'd prefer to call the [Alt+x compile] command on those
> files. Now I use ssh to call 'make' on the remote host which has the disadvantage
> that the errors found during compilation are reported on the console.
>
> Is there a way to convince the compile command to call 'make' on the remote host
> via ssh?

Which Tramp version do you use? More recent ones provide (limited)
compilation support for remote files in the package tramp-util.el. You
can apply `tramp-compile' on such files. And if the minor tramp-mode
is enabled, this command is already bound to <menu-bar> <tools>
<compile>.

See also <http://www.gnu.org/software/tramp/#Compilation>

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Calling `compile` command on a remote host
@ 2005-09-06 11:25   ` Anakreon
From: Anakreon @ 2005-09-06 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Which Tramp version do you use? More recent ones provide (limited)
> compilation support for remote files in the package tramp-util.el. You
> can apply `tramp-compile' on such files. And if the minor tramp-mode
> is enabled, this command is already bound to <menu-bar> <tools>
> <compile>.
>
> See also <http://www.gnu.org/software/tramp/#Compilation>
>
> Best regards, Michael.
It works. Thanks allot.

* Re: Calling `compile` command on a remote host
@ 2005-09-06 13:51     ` Anakreon
From: Anakreon @ 2005-09-06 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Anakreon wrote:
>> Which Tramp version do you use? More recent ones provide (limited)
>> compilation support for remote files in the package tramp-util.el. You
>> can apply `tramp-compile' on such files. And if the minor tramp-mode
>> is enabled, this command is already bound to <menu-bar> <tools>
>> <compile>.
>>
>> See also <http://www.gnu.org/software/tramp/#Compilation>
>>
>> Best regards, Michael.
>
> It works. Thanks allot.
The version of tramp is 2.0.49

I noticed three minor problems with tramp-compile
1:In the *Compilation window the date when the compilation is over is not
printed.This is useful so I can now that the compilation is over.
2:The *Compilation window is made the current window.I see no point into
this and also I have to manually switch the current window after compilation is
over.
3:The standard compile command displays the errors with syntax highlighting.This
helps to spot the offending lines quickly.The tramp-compile does not do this

Is the tramp package maintained and developed so I can hope to see those issues
resolved?

Anakreon

* Re: Calling `compile` command on a remote host
@ 2005-09-06 16:23       ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2005-09-06 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Anakreon <anakreonmejdi@yahoo.gr> writes:

> I noticed three minor problems with tramp-compile

[...]

> Is the tramp package maintained and developed so I can hope to see those issues
> resolved?

As I wrote in my first message, Tramp provides _limited_ compilation
support for remote files. It cannot emulate everything what is offered
by compile.el. Instead of, it is intended to improve Emacs' process
communication in order to let packages like compile.el run out of the
box for remote files. This is under discussion; the discussion is
postponed until Emacs 22 is released.

And yes, Tramp is maintained (I'm one of the maintainers). This
feature is on the todo list with high priority - at least for me :-)

> Anakreon

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Calling `compile` command on a remote host
@ 2005-09-09  1:35 ` Ian Zimmerman
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2005-09-09  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Anakreon> I use tramp to edit files on a remote host from within emacs.
Anakreon> This works fine but I'd prefer to call the [Alt+x compile]
Anakreon> command on those files. Now I use ssh to call 'make' on the
Anakreon> remote host which has the disadvantage that the errors found
Anakreon> during compilation are reported on the console.

Anakreon> Is there a way to convince the compile command to call 'make'
Anakreon> on the remote host via ssh?

I don't understand.  Why not just invoke the M-x compile and override
the default command?  The output from ssh (which is actually the output
from the remote make) should be trapped in the *compilation* buffer
just as if you chose any other command.  Or not?

--
Optimist: We're only two weeks behind schedule.
Pessimist: The schedule is a whole two weeks ahead of us.