all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* An idea, Emacsmonks
@ 2003-03-19  3:54 Artist
From: Artist @ 2003-03-19  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
 I program in perl and there is a wonderful site: www.perlmonks.org
 Does any one think that site like that for 'elisp and emacs' would be
good?
 I know about http://emacswiki.wikiwikiweb.de/cgi-bin/wiki.pl but
somehow I like to format for perlmonks better.  Can we start something
like that..?
or I like to hear pro and cons for the same.

Thanks,
Artist.

* Re: An idea, Emacsmonks
@ 2003-03-19 21:03 ` Alex Schroeder
From: Alex Schroeder @ 2003-03-19 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

googleartist@yahoo.com (Artist) writes:

>  I know about http://emacswiki.wikiwikiweb.de/cgi-bin/wiki.pl but
> somehow I like to format for perlmonks better.  Can we start
> something like that..?  or I like to hear pro and cons for the same.

Hm.  I could of course write an elaborate style sheet for
http://www.emacswiki.org/ -- and I could add frames and tables and
other stuff -- but all that would not improve the fundamental core
idea: Have pages editable by all on the web.  The information just
keeps getting better and better.  No threads.  No outdated
information.  No login.  No locking.  No spam.

So you'd have to describe what perlmonks does better -- what kind of
"format" do you refer to?

Alex.

* Re: An idea, Emacsmonks
@ 2003-03-19 21:54   ` David Masterson
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: David Masterson @ 2003-03-19 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hm.  I could of course write an elaborate style sheet for
> http://www.emacswiki.org/ -- and I could add frames and tables and
> other stuff -- but all that would not improve the fundamental core
> idea: Have pages editable by all on the web.  The information just
> keeps getting better and better.  No threads.  No outdated
> information.  No login.  No locking.  No spam.

Shhh.  Don't give the spammers ideas...

--
David Masterson                David DOT Masterson AT synopsys DOT com
Sr. R&D Engineer               Synopsys, Inc.

* Re: An idea, Emacsmonks
@ 2003-03-20  6:21   ` Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
From: Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan @ 2003-03-20  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alex Schroeder wrote:

> idea: Have pages editable by all on the web.  The information just
> keeps getting better and better.  No threads.  No outdated
> information.  No login.  No locking.  No spam.

Yes, Alex, I completely agree. Wiki *is* the way to go. The contents in
Emacswiki is getting better and better every day if not every hour! It's
easy to edit. It's becoming my first website to lookup when I need any
emacs related stuff.

Kudos to Alex!

--
   Ramakrishnan

* Re: An idea, Emacsmonks
@ 2003-03-21  3:29   ` Artist
From: Artist @ 2003-03-21  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alex Schroeder <alex@gnu.org> wrote in message news:<87adfrm5le.fsf@gnu.org>...
> googleartist@yahoo.com (Artist) writes:
>
> >  I know about http://emacswiki.wikiwikiweb.de/cgi-bin/wiki.pl but
> > somehow I like to format for perlmonks better.  Can we start
> > something like that..?  or I like to hear pro and cons for the same.
>
> Hm.  I could of course write an elaborate style sheet for
> http://www.emacswiki.org/ -- and I could add frames and tables and
> other stuff -- but all that would not improve the fundamental core
> idea: Have pages editable by all on the web.  The information just
> keeps getting better and better.  No threads.  No outdated
> information.  No login.  No locking.  No spam.
>
> So you'd have to describe what perlmonks does better -- what kind of
> "format" do you refer to?
>
> Alex.

Thanks Alex,
 Here are my points:

1. Webbased Interface (Universal)
2. Question/Answers
3. Knowledge repository
4. Regular user base
5. Chat, Messages, Helping Hands
6. All in one place
7. More thinkable application
8. Faster Learning Curve
9. Faster Idea Exchange
10. Archive Search
11.(My familiar interface :-).

Artist.

* Re: An idea, Emacsmonks
@ 2003-03-21 23:23     ` Alex Schroeder
From: Alex Schroeder @ 2003-03-21 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Let me see how well emacswiki.org fits the bill...

> 1. Webbased Interface (Universal)

Ok, we have that.

> 2. Question/Answers

We also have that (OpenQuestions page) but in general we prefer to
create new pages for problems.

> 3. Knowledge repository

Yes, the wiki is that.

> 4. Regular user base

That is also true, if you look at the RecentChanges page.

> 5. Chat, Messages, Helping Hands

All good Emacs and XEmacs users hang out on #emacs, of course.  /JOIN
is now on irc.freenode.org -- see http://www.freenode.org/

> 6. All in one place

Yep!

> 7. More thinkable application

I wonder what that is?

> 8. Faster Learning Curve

We have the fastest learning curve!

> 9. Faster Idea Exchange

I assume this is not a property of the userinterface but of the userbase!
I would like to think that the wiki does that, but I think the fact
is that most of the new stuff first needs some throwing back and
forth, and that happens on #emacs, where other people will provide
immediate feedback.

> 10. Archive Search

Have that.

> 11.(My familiar interface :-).

Join the wiki side, my son!  Together, we can rule the Empire!

Alex.

* Re: An idea, Emacsmonks
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-03-26 11:40   ` Colin Marquardt
From: Colin Marquardt @ 2003-03-26 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alex Schroeder <alex@gnu.org> writes:

> Hm.  I could of course write an elaborate style sheet for
> http://www.emacswiki.org/ -- and I could add frames and tables and
> other stuff -- but all that would not improve the fundamental core
> idea: Have pages editable by all on the web.  The information just
> keeps getting better and better.  No threads.  No outdated
> information.  No login.  No locking.  No spam.

Full ACK. I hate anything that requires me to get an account just to
fix a typo or change a URI, so I would not bother with an emacsmonks
page.

Cheers,
  Colin