all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Functions using limited set of internals
@ 2003-02-27 15:55 Artist
From: Artist @ 2003-02-27 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

googleartist@yahoo.com (Artist) writes:

> Hi,
>  I have been using emacs now for over an year.
>  and now I like to know how I can do some work with lisp.
>
>  How I can find the built-in functions for lisp:

(let ((internals ()))
  (mapatoms (lambda (sym)
              (when (and (functionp sym) (subrp (symbol-function
sym)))
                (push sym internals))))
  (insert (format "%S\n" internals)))

I've not found any predicate to distinguish between built-in functions
and special forms.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__                   http://www.informatimago.com/

Wow,That works wonderful.
Thank you,
Using your method, I found 974 entries:
             which includes built-in functions and special forms

C-h f TAB gives me 7129 entries.

Applying the educational approach,
 I like to find out what I can do with my progressive learning.

 To achieve that,
 I like to find lisp functions (example:defined with defun)  which
uses  the set of internals or functions that I learned so far. I can
further restrict it by specific set of files.

Thanks,
Artist.

* Re: Functions using limited set of internals
@ 2003-02-27 16:03 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2003-02-27 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

googleartist@yahoo.com (Artist) writes:

> googleartist@yahoo.com (Artist) writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >  I have been using emacs now for over an year.
> >  and now I like to know how I can do some work with lisp.
> >
> >  How I can find the built-in functions for lisp:
>
> (let ((internals ()))
>   (mapatoms (lambda (sym)
>               (when (and (functionp sym) (subrp (symbol-function
> sym)))
>                 (push sym internals))))
>   (insert (format "%S\n" internals)))
>
> I've not found any predicate to distinguish between built-in functions
> and special forms.

subr-arity

* Re: Functions using limited set of internals
@ 2003-02-28  1:43   ` Artist
From: Artist @ 2003-02-28  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote in message news:<x5y941g186.fsf@lola.goethe.zz>...
> googleartist@yahoo.com (Artist) writes:
>
> > googleartist@yahoo.com (Artist) writes:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >  I have been using emacs now for over an year.
> > >  and now I like to know how I can do some work with lisp.
> > >
> > >  How I can find the built-in functions for lisp:
> >
> > (let ((internals ()))
> >   (mapatoms (lambda (sym)
> >               (when (and (functionp sym) (subrp (symbol-function
> > sym)))
> >                 (push sym internals))))
> >   (insert (format "%S\n" internals)))
> >
> > I've not found any predicate to distinguish between built-in functions
> > and special forms.
>
> subr-arity

Hi,
 That's already been answered in another thread.
 Built-in functions and Special forms.
 What I am looking for is

1. Get name of all the functions. (defined with defun)
2. Find out all the 'built-in function' or 'special forms' it uses.

from 1 and 2 we have a table:
like:

defun frame-width (&optional frame)
uses: cdr, assq, frame-parameters
defun set-border-color (color-name)
uses: interactive, list, face-menu-read-color,
modify-frame-parameters,selected-frame, cons

etc..

Then it should go thro' my learned list of built-in and other
functions and special forms to match the above table to find the entry
for 'defun functions'.

This is to assist the progressive learning for  the command of 'what
is being learnt'.

Thanks,
Artist.