Thanks for your help. If I add your patch below to my .emacs I get Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument listp "Recent") The grep.el example that Eli mentioned is not that straightforward. Well, I'm not a lisp techie but maybe I'll look at it again this weekend. Best, Bernhard On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 11:20 AM, David Reitter wrote: > On 24 Oct 2008, at 20:36, Bernhard Koenig wrote: > > > you get a list of "recent files". In Emacs, even with the recentf >> extension, it seems impossible to add a "recentf-open-files" icon to >> the toolbar. Of course you can use keybindings, but some people like >> the mouse and the "recent files" in the menubar require more clicks. >> > > It's perfectly possible. I have it in Aquamacs, and it just took me a bit > of Lisp code. The full code is in aquamacs-tool-bar.el if you want to look > it up. Specifically, this is what does it: > > > (tool-bar-add-item '("history" . "Recent") (lambda () > (interactive) > (popup-menu (easy-menu-filter-return > (recentf-make-menu-items) > "Open Recent"))) > 'recent-files > :visible '(and (boundp 'recentf-mode) recentf-mode) > :help "Pop up the Recent Files menu") > > > >