all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* newbie - from UK
@ 2009-02-09 15:19 James Freer
From: James Freer @ 2009-02-09 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs

I've joined the group hoping to learn more about emacs - i will be
using it [i hope!] for programming and writing text. I gathered that
emacs offers good text editing facilities. I've got the emacs.pdf and
have started thumbing my way through it.

james
UK

* RE: newbie - from UK
@ 2009-02-09 17:59 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-02-09 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'James Freer', 'emacs'

> I've joined the group hoping to learn more about emacs - i will be
> using it [i hope!] for programming and writing text. I gathered that
> emacs offers good text editing facilities. I've got the emacs.pdf and
> have started thumbing my way through it.

Welcome to Emacs, James!

By "the emacs.pdf" I assume you mean the GNU Emacs manual(?).

Here are some other resources that can help, in addition to help-gnu-emacs and
the Emacs manual (which is available in Emacs itself, using `C-h r' or Help >
Read the Emacs Manual):

* Guided Tour: http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/tour/
* Frequently Asked Questions (Help > Emacs FAQ)
* Tutorial (Help > Emacs Tutorial)
* Wiki: http://www.emacswiki.org
* Overview page: http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/

* Re: newbie - from UK
@ 2009-02-09 18:59   ` James Freer
From: James Freer @ 2009-02-09 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: emacs

2009/2/9 Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com>:
> Welcome to Emacs, James!
>
> By "the emacs.pdf" I assume you mean the GNU Emacs manual(?).

Drew

Thanks for the 'welcome'... yes the GNU Emacs manual... all 651 pages.
I'll probably print it out. I've installed the xemacs aswell... but
the colour scheme!

I'll see how i get on. I used to like Wordstar years ago but way out
of date. Had a look at Vim but find the commands rather lengthy to be
honest. I want to use emacs for email aswell but we'll have to see.
Thanks for the links - i had those noted i think.

james