all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: copy/paste to/from emacs
@ 2005-07-21 19:22 ` Marc Tfardy
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Marc Tfardy @ 2005-07-21 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Baloff wrote:
> Hello
> ok, the title says it all, I cann't copy from emacs and paste into say
> Mozilla or any other program and this is true from other programs to
> emacs as well. what is the fix?

What OS? win? linux?
I suppose, you use M-w to copy and C-y to paste in Emacs.
Under linux it is sufficient for copy to mark the text with mouse.

Marc

* Re: copy/paste to/from emacs
@ 2005-07-21 19:53 ` Haizi Zheng
       [not found] ` <mailman.1221.1121977384.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Haizi Zheng @ 2005-07-21 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you want to copy some text from emacs, and then paste it in another
application in X environment, you can have try as add the line below to
you .emacs file:

(global-set-key [C-f11] 'clipboard-kill-ring-save)

This will add a new bind, here is contrl-f11, to replace the default M-w
when copying, then in the other application, the normal paste operation
will work.

By this method, there are two key-bindings, respectively take charge of
the internal-copy-paste affairs and that between eamcs and other
applications. I admit that this method is a little ugly, is there
anyone who has better solution on this issue?

On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 05:17:57AM -0700, Baloff wrote:
> Hello
> ok, the title says it all, I cann't copy from emacs and paste into say
> Mozilla or any other program and this is true from other programs to
> emacs as well. what is the fix?
>
> thanks

* Re: copy/paste to/from emacs
@ 2005-07-21 21:20     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-07-21 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 22.07.2005 um 15:50 schrieb Baloff:

>> Under linux it is sufficient for copy to mark the text with mouse.

Only when mouse-sel-mode is active, I think ...

--
Greetings

   Pete       (:
         _    / __    -    -
       _/ \__/_/        -     -
      (´`)      (´`)   -    -
       `´        `´

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Never be led astray onto the path of virtue.

* Re: copy/paste to/from emacs
@ 2005-07-21 21:47     ` Charles philip Chan
From: Charles philip Chan @ 2005-07-21 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22 Jul 2005, vddr2u@bi.edu.gr wrote:

Marc Tfardy wrote: > Baloff wrote: >

> using Linux, marking the text with mouse in emacs then go to say AbiWord
> and paste does not paste the text. I don't think it is even in the
> clipboard.

Of course it is not in the clipboard because it is in the "primary
selection". To paste it use middle mouse button. Please read this:

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:mxpINQc8-FkJ:www.jwz.org/doc/x-cut-and-paste.html+emacs+primary+selection&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Charles

--
"Open Standards, Open Documents, and Open Source"

  -- Scott Bradner (Open Sources, 1999 O'Reilly and Associates)

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: copy/paste to/from emacs
@ 2005-07-22  5:54 ` Tim X
       [not found] ` <mailman.1221.1121977384.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tim X @ 2005-07-22  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Baloff <vddr2u@bi.edu.gr> writes:

> Hello
> ok, the title says it all, I cann't copy from emacs and paste into say
> Mozilla or any other program and this is true from other programs to
> emacs as well. what is the fix?
>
> thanks

Try using middle mouse button to paste.

Tim

--
Tim Cross

* Re: copy/paste to/from emacs
       [not found] ` <mailman.1221.1121977384.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-07-22  6:00   ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2005-07-22  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Haizi Zheng <haizi_zh@yahoo.com.cn> writes:

> If you want to copy some text from emacs, and then paste it in another
> application in X environment, you can have try as add the line below to
> you .emacs file:
>
> (global-set-key [C-f11] 'clipboard-kill-ring-save)
>
> This will add a new bind, here is contrl-f11, to replace the default M-w
> when copying, then in the other application, the normal paste operation
> will work.
>
> By this method, there are two key-bindings, respectively take charge of
> the internal-copy-paste affairs and that between eamcs and other
> applications. I admit that this method is a little ugly, is there
> anyone who has better solution on this issue?

I just use mouse button 2 to paste into other applications

Tim
--
Tim Cross

* copy/paste to/from emacs
@ 2005-07-22 12:17 Baloff
From: Baloff @ 2005-07-22 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-07-22 13:50   ` Baloff
From: Baloff @ 2005-07-22 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-08-09 20:49   ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2005-08-09 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3kaajgFtbtcvU1@individual.net>,
Marc Tfardy  <m-t-o___CUT_IT___@web.de> wrote:
>Baloff wrote:
>> Hello
>> ok, the title says it all, I cann't copy from emacs and paste into say
>> Mozilla or any other program and this is true from other programs to
>> emacs as well. what is the fix?
>
>What OS? win? linux?
>I suppose, you use M-w to copy and C-y to paste in Emacs.
>Under linux it is sufficient for copy to mark the text with mouse.
>
>Marc

Not how it works in Solaris' "CDE":

To take something from an emacs buffer to another CDE "window"
(a "real" window, not what emacs calls "window"), do:

.  regionize the stuff.

.  do NOT do C-w; rather, press the "copy" button on the
   keyboard (well, mine is a Sun keyboard, with two columns
   of special keys, eg go-to-next-window ("front"), copy,
   paste, etc, these 2 columns being on the left edge
   of the keyboard (10 keys in all).

.  Switch windows into the window the other app is
   running in and wants-input, and hit the "paste" key.

Reverse direction, eg from something being shown in a dtterm
  and putting it into an emacs buffer, at point:

. Mouse-blacken that area in the, say, dtterm.

. Hit Copy-button.

. Flip into the window emacs owns.

. *Usually*, C-y works.  If not, hit the paste-button.

What if anything this scheme for Sun Solaris implies for
Linux, I don't know.

Hope this helps.

David

* Re: copy/paste to/from emacs
@ 2005-08-10  8:15     ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2005-08-10  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) writes:

> In article <3kaajgFtbtcvU1@individual.net>,
> Marc Tfardy  <m-t-o___CUT_IT___@web.de> wrote:
> >Baloff wrote:
> >> Hello
> >> ok, the title says it all, I cann't copy from emacs and paste into say
> >> Mozilla or any other program and this is true from other programs to
> >> emacs as well. what is the fix?
> >
> >What OS? win? linux?
> >I suppose, you use M-w to copy and C-y to paste in Emacs.
> >Under linux it is sufficient for copy to mark the text with mouse.
> >
> >Marc
>
> Not how it works in Solaris' "CDE":
>
> To take something from an emacs buffer to another CDE "window"
> (a "real" window, not what emacs calls "window"), do:
>
> .  regionize the stuff.
>
> .  do NOT do C-w; rather, press the "copy" button on the
>    keyboard (well, mine is a Sun keyboard, with two columns
>    of special keys, eg go-to-next-window ("front"), copy,
>    paste, etc, these 2 columns being on the left edge
>    of the keyboard (10 keys in all).
>
> .  Switch windows into the window the other app is
>    running in and wants-input, and hit the "paste" key.
>
> Reverse direction, eg from something being shown in a dtterm
>   and putting it into an emacs buffer, at point:
>
> . Mouse-blacken that area in the, say, dtterm.
>
> . Hit Copy-button.
>
> . Flip into the window emacs owns.
>
> . *Usually*, C-y works.  If not, hit the paste-button.
>

> What if anything this scheme for Sun Solaris implies for
> Linux, I don't know.

Very little I expect unless you are using a Sun keyboard with Linux!

Generally under X windows, you mark the text (either with the mouse or
usiing the mark region commands - its useful to enable
transient-mark-mode if you use the mouse), switch to the other
application you want to paste into and hit the middle mouse
button. Note that the 'windows style' Ctl-v usually doesn't work
consistently - there is some trickery you can do using the xclipboard,
but I've found it too much of a hassle to bother with and there are
still some apps which don't recognize the xclipboard.

Tim

--
Tim Cross