all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Does Gnu Emacs support UTF-8 for Japanese?
@ 2005-08-09  5:11 Ben Bullock
From: Ben Bullock @ 2005-08-09  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

I had a problem with Gnu Emacs apparently not being able to cope with UTF 8
coding. After much frustration the answer I seemed to get is that Gnu Emacs
doesn't support UTF 8 for Japanese codes. Is this right or wrong? If right,
why? If wrong, what can I do to make it save files in UTF 8?

Ben.

* Re: Does Gnu Emacs support UTF-8 for Japanese?
@ 2005-08-09  6:35 ` Pascal Bourguignon
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2005-08-09  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ben Bullock" <usenet@sljfaq.org> writes:
> I had a problem with Gnu Emacs apparently not being able to cope with
> UTF 8 coding. After much frustration the answer I seemed to get is
> that Gnu Emacs doesn't support UTF 8 for Japanese codes. Is this right
> or wrong? If right, why? If wrong, what can I do to make it save files
> in UTF 8?

If so, how comes I can send you this post from emacs, but not from ときお?

--
"Specifications are for the weak and timid!"

* Re: Does Gnu Emacs support UTF-8 for Japanese?
@ 2005-08-09  6:55   ` David Hansen
From: David Hansen @ 2005-08-09  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 08:35:16 +0200 Pascal Bourguignon wrote:

> "Ben Bullock" <usenet@sljfaq.org> writes:
>> I had a problem with Gnu Emacs apparently not being able to cope with
>> UTF 8 coding. After much frustration the answer I seemed to get is
>> that Gnu Emacs doesn't support UTF 8 for Japanese codes. Is this right
>> or wrong? If right, why? If wrong, what can I do to make it save files
>> in UTF 8?

I heard Unicode support for non Latin scripts is far better in
the CVS version of Emacs.  IMHO it's stable enough for daily
work.  And if not you can help the Emacs community by typing
M-x report-emacs-bug RET to bring it a step closer to the next
release.

> If so, how comes I can send you this post from emacs, but not from ときお?

Probably because you are using GNU Emacs from CVS.

David

* Re: Does Gnu Emacs support UTF-8 for Japanese?
@ 2005-08-09  8:28   ` Ben Bullock
From: Ben Bullock @ 2005-08-09  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Pascal Bourguignon" <spam@mouse-potato.com> wrote in message
> "Ben Bullock" <usenet@sljfaq.org> writes:
>> I had a problem with Gnu Emacs apparently not being able to cope with
>> UTF 8 coding. After much frustration the answer I seemed to get is
>> that Gnu Emacs doesn't support UTF 8 for Japanese codes. Is this right
>> or wrong? If right, why? If wrong, what can I do to make it save files
>> in UTF 8?
>
> If so, how comes I can send you this post from emacs, but not from ときお?

I have no idea. I can type in a very simple sentence in Japanese, try to
save it as utf-8, and get an error message, and insist that I save it as
euc-jp or other. I looked at Google for what might happen, and the
impression was that it just didn't support utf-8 properly.

> "Specifications are for the weak and timid!"

I'm feeling weak after this.

Another one: I put the input method editor for Gnome in today, and it
started trapping ctrl - space, so every time I tried to "set mark", which I
do about a hundred times without thinking about it, Gnome caught it and
Emacs didn't realise. Then I did ctrl - w and deleted everything in the file
over and over. I found I could do it with ctrl - @ but I don't want to do
it, so then I had to turn Gnome's thing off again.

Also Gnome doesn't talk to Emacs, it seems.