all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Some case conversion commands don't recognize the apostrophe
@ 2002-12-17 18:46 Michael Stutz
From: Michael Stutz @ 2002-12-17 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Emacs version: GNU Emacs 20.7.2 (i386-debian-linux-gnu, X toolkit) of Tue Jun 20 2000 on raven

Some of the commands for changing the case of human-language text do
not recognize the apostrophe character, causing unexpected behavior:

`M-c' (`capitalize-word') does not capitalize a word that is preceded
by an apostrophe when the cursor is at or before the apostrophe;
instead, the cursor moves to just after the word but the word is not
capitalized.

For example, if the cursor is at the beginning of the following line
in an English-text buffer:

	'cause that's just how it is.

Typing "M-c" moves the cursor to the space just after the first word,
but the first word will not be capitalized.

`M-u' (`upcase-word') continues past a word's trailing apostrophe.

For example, if the cursor is at the beginning of the following line
in an English-text buffer:

	mit's

Typing "M-u" moves the cursor to just after the "'s" and both the word
and its trailing "s" is converted to uppercase letters.

* Re: Some case conversion commands don't recognize the apostrophe
@ 2002-12-18  6:10 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-12-18  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, Michael Stutz wrote:

> `M-c' (`capitalize-word') does not capitalize a word that is preceded
> by an apostrophe when the cursor is at or before the apostrophe;
> instead, the cursor moves to just after the word but the word is not
> capitalized.
> [...]
> `M-u' (`upcase-word') continues past a word's trailing apostrophe.

I think that's because in Text mode, the apostrophe is considered a
word-constituent character.

* Re: Some case conversion commands don't recognize the apostrophe
       [not found] <mailman.372.1040191901.19936.bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-12-18 10:02 ` David desJardins
       [not found] ` <mailman.381.1040205842.19936.bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David desJardins @ 2002-12-18 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@is.elta.co.il> writes:
>> `M-c' (`capitalize-word') does not capitalize a word that is preceded
>> by an apostrophe when the cursor is at or before the apostrophe;
>> instead, the cursor moves to just after the word but the word is not
>> capitalized.
>> [...]
>> `M-u' (`upcase-word') continues past a word's trailing apostrophe.
>
> I think that's because in Text mode, the apostrophe is considered a
> word-constituent character.

Right.  The question is: should capitalize-word capitalize the first
letter, or the first character?  It seems reasonable to me to think that
the capitalization of a word like 'em should be 'Em.  I.e., capitalize
the first letter, not the first word-constituent.

                                        David desJardins

@ 2002-12-18 15:22   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2002-12-18 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

David desJardins wrote:

> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@is.elta.co.il> writes:
>
>>>`M-c' (`capitalize-word') does not capitalize a word that is preceded
>>>by an apostrophe when the cursor is at or before the apostrophe;
>>>instead, the cursor moves to just after the word but the word is not
>>>capitalized.
>>>[...]
>>>`M-u' (`upcase-word') continues past a word's trailing apostrophe.
>>>
>>I think that's because in Text mode, the apostrophe is considered a
>>word-constituent character.
>>

> Right.  The question is: should capitalize-word capitalize the first
> letter, or the first character?  It seems reasonable to me to think that
> the capitalization of a word like 'em should be 'Em.  I.e., capitalize
> the first letter, not the first word-constituent.

I agree.

--

* Re: Some case conversion commands don't recognize the apostrophe
       [not found] <mailman.344.1040151500.19936.bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Edward O'Connor @ 2002-12-18 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Some of the commands for changing the case of human-language
> text do not recognize the apostrophe character, causing
> unexpected behavior:

Also, consider names such as, oh, I don't know, O'Connor. :)

Ted

--
Edward O'Connor
oconnor@soe.ucsd.edu