all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* diff
@ 2005-08-08  8:24 Ekkehard Krüger
From: Ekkehard Krüger @ 2005-08-08  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hallo,

I do not know wether or not this is a bug.

with my former emacs instalation, I used often
ediff, for instance to compare two files. This is
a very useful program.

Now, I have installed the newest version of emacs,
namely 21.3.1 (on the platform Windows98).
Ediff does no longer work. When I try
to compare two files, I get the error message:

Searching for program: no such file or directory, diff

A similar message I get when I insert the line
(require ' ediff)
in my .emacs-file.

What can I do?

Thank you for an answer of my question,
Ekkehard Krüger

* Re: diff
@ 2005-08-08 18:32 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-08-08 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ekkehard Krüger wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> I do not know wether or not this is a bug.
>
> with my former emacs instalation, I used often
> ediff, for instance to compare two files. This is
> a very useful program.
>
> Now, I have installed the newest version of emacs,
> namely 21.3.1 (on the platform Windows98).
> Ediff does no longer work. When I try
> to compare two files, I get the error message:
>
> Searching for program: no such file or directory, diff
>
> A similar message I get when I insert the line
> (require ' ediff)
> in my .emacs-file.
>
> What can I do?

Install the diff program.  If it is already installed, make
sure the Emacs ediff-diff-program variable is correct.

--
Kevin Rodgers