all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* complex command multiplier
@ 2003-03-02  3:19 Frank Hsueh
From: Frank Hsueh @ 2003-03-02  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

hello, all.

`C-u X cmd' generally runs cmd X times.

How do I run a not so simple command multiple times?

--
Frank Hsueh, EngSci Elec 0T4

dink33@hotmail.com

* Re: complex command multiplier
@ 2003-03-02 13:01 ` Piet van Oostrum
From: Piet van Oostrum @ 2003-03-02 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

FH> hello, all.
FH> `C-u X cmd' generally runs cmd X times.

That is not true in general. It depends on the command.

FH> How do I run a not so simple command multiple times?

Make a keyboard macro:
C-x (
the commands keys
C-x )

Now C-u <x> C-x e

The C-x) can be omitted if you do the repeat immediately.
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet@cs.uu.nl>
Private email: P.van.Oostrum@hccnet.nl

* Re: complex command multiplier
@ 2003-03-03 22:51 ` Edward O'Connor
From: Edward O'Connor @ 2003-03-03 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

> `C-u X cmd' generally runs cmd X times.
>
> How do I run a not so simple command multiple times?

What sort of not-so-simple command?

If you mean a sequence of commands, try recording a macro:

C-x (
the command you want to repeat
C-x )
C-u X C-x e

See the "Keyboard Macros" node of the Emacs manual for more.

Ted

--
Edward O'Connor
oconnor@soe.ucsd.edu