all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: set mark and point around current line
@ 2005-07-23 23:06 ` Zephyre
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Zephyre @ 2005-07-23 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw

On Sun, Jul 24, 2005 at 05:04:49AM -0700, Baloff wrote:
> and btw, when you have many windows open, aren't they numbered so that
> you can issue a command to go to a spacific window instead of what I am
> doing C-x o and watch the pointer move randomly till it gets to the
> window of my choice.

If you are bothered by this, just try C-x C-b to invoke the *Buffer
List*, and move your point to the proper item.

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 189 bytes --]

* Re: set mark and point around current line
@ 2005-07-24  3:43 ` Neon Absentius
From: Neon Absentius @ 2005-07-24  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw

On Sun, Jul 24, 2005 at 05:04:49AM -0700, Baloff wrote:

> and btw, when you have many windows open, aren't they numbered so that
> you can issue a command to go to a spacific window instead of what I am
> doing C-x o and watch the pointer move randomly till it gets to the
> window of my choice.

Maybe this is usefull: You can use Shift + arrow keys to move around
the windows of a frame.  Just evaluate

(windmove-default-keybindings)

and if you like it put it in your .emacs. If you don't like the shift
modifier you can change it, for example

(windmove-default-keybindings 'control)

uses control + arrows instead.

--
Charity in capitalism is like urinating to extinguish a forest fire.
    -- Neon Absentius

* Re: set mark and point around current line
@ 2005-07-24  5:35 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2005-07-24  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw

Baloff <vddr2u@bi.edu.gr> writes:

> Hello
> how can I find out what is the command to do somthing.
> say I want to select "highlight" the current line to copy it to
> another window.
> do I (Set the mark and point around the current line) > M-w > change
> window > C-y?
> and btw, when you have many windows open, aren't they numbered so that
> you can issue a command to go to a spacific window instead of what I
> am doing C-x o and watch the pointer move randomly till it gets to the
> window of my choice.

to find out about what commands are available try apropos. You have a
few variants -

M-x apropos
M-x apropos-command
M-x apropos-variable
C-h a apropos (simple)

The help facility has a lot of useful information. For example, to ind
out what you can do with C-x o command, try C-h k, which calls the
describe-key command e.g.

,----[ C-h k C-x o ]

`----

--
Tim Cross

* set mark and point around current line
@ 2005-07-24 12:04 Baloff
From: Baloff @ 2005-07-24 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw

Hello
how can I find out what is the command to do somthing.
say I want to select "highlight" the current line to copy it to another
window.
do I (Set the mark and point around the current line) > M-w > change
window > C-y?
and btw, when you have many windows open, aren't they numbered so that
you can issue a command to go to a spacific window instead of what I am
doing C-x o and watch the pointer move randomly till it gets to the
window of my choice.

thanks

* Re: set mark and point around current line
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-07-25 17:46 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-07-25 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw

Baloff wrote:
 > how can I find out what is the command to do somthing.

M-x apropos RET do-something RET

 > say I want to select "highlight" the current line to copy it to
 > another window.

I tried `M-x apropos RET current-line' and didn't find anything that
does the job.

 > do I (Set the mark and point around the current line) > M-w > change
 > window > C-y?

Yes.  Of course setting the mark and moving point changes the point,
which you may not want, and involves a 3-key sequence: C-a C-@ C-e.
So you might want to define a keyboard macro, e.g.

(global-set-key "\C-cl" "\C-a\C-@\C-e\M-w")

or bind a key to a new command:

(defun copy-current-line-as-kill ()
   "Save the current line as if killed, but don't kill it.
See `copy-region-as-kill'."
   (interactive)
   (kill-ring-save (point-at-bol) (point-at-eol)))

(global-set-key "\C-cl" 'copy-current-line-as-kill)

 > and btw, when you have many windows open, aren't they numbered so that
 > you can issue a command to go to a spacific window instead of what I am
 > doing C-x o and watch the pointer move randomly till it gets to the
 > window of my choice.

You can give a prefix arg to other-window (which is what `C-x o' is
bound to), e.g. `C-u 3 C-x o' or `M-3 C-x o'.

--
Kevin Rodgers