all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Alt Putty
@ 2015-08-28 11:10 Rusi
       [not found] ` <mailman.78.1440766065.19560.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Rusi @ 2015-08-28 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

How to make Alt-key work with PuTTY?

* Re: Alt Putty
@ 2015-08-28 12:47 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.78.1440766065.19560.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-08-28 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 04:10:50 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com>
>
> How to make Alt-key work with PuTTY?

What do you mean by "work"?  Should it produce A-key or M-key in
Emacs?

* Re: Alt Putty
       [not found] ` <mailman.78.1440766065.19560.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2015-08-28 13:07   ` Rusi
From: Rusi @ 2015-08-28 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Friday, August 28, 2015 at 6:17:52 PM UTC+5:30, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 04:10:50 -0700 (PDT)
> > From: Rusi
> >
> > How to make Alt-key work with PuTTY?
>
> What do you mean by "work"?  Should it produce A-key or M-key in
> Emacs?

Sorry for not being clear... I guess this is OT
Best I can see Alt generates nothing
Naturally I would like Alt-x to be emacs' M-x as it does in
windows and gnu/linux desktops.
In an X env I would have checked with xev.
Here not sure what to check with
No idea what is A-key

* Re: Alt Putty
@ 2015-08-28 13:27     ` Rusi
       [not found]       ` <mailman.106.1440791227.19560.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found]     ` <mailman.84.1440769306.19560.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Rusi @ 2015-08-28 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Friday, August 28, 2015 at 6:37:17 PM UTC+5:30, Rusi wrote:
> On Friday, August 28, 2015 at 6:17:52 PM UTC+5:30, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > > Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 04:10:50 -0700 (PDT)
> > > From: Rusi
> > >
> > > How to make Alt-key work with PuTTY?
> >
> > What do you mean by "work"?  Should it produce A-key or M-key in
> > Emacs?
>
> Sorry for not being clear... I guess this is OT

By which I mean that there must be some putty setting to make Alt behave like
well like Alt :-).
google was not much helpful

* Re: Alt Putty
@ 2015-08-28 13:41     ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]       ` <mailman.86.1440769745.19560.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found]     ` <mailman.84.1440769306.19560.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-08-28 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 06:07:15 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com>
>
> On Friday, August 28, 2015 at 6:17:52 PM UTC+5:30, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > > Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 04:10:50 -0700 (PDT)
> > > From: Rusi
> > >
> > > How to make Alt-key work with PuTTY?
> >
> > What do you mean by "work"?  Should it produce A-key or M-key in
> > Emacs?
>
> Sorry for not being clear... I guess this is OT
> Best I can see Alt generates nothing
> Naturally I would like Alt-x to be emacs' M-x as it does in
> windows and gnu/linux desktops.

I think this happens automatically with PuTTY.  It does for me.

Are you sure it's not something in your TERM value and the
corresponding terminfo entry on the target machine?  What happens if
you type "ESC x", does Emacs on the remote see "M-x"?  If it does,
audit the PuTTY settings on the PuTTY's "Keyboard" and "Features"
panes (under "Terminal").  Maybe also "Behaviour" under "Window".

* Re: Alt Putty
@ 2015-08-28 13:48       ` Jude DaShiell
       [not found]       ` <mailman.86.1440769745.19560.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2015-08-28 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii, help-gnu-emacs

alt needs not to be captured by emacs so it can get to putty then have
putty work.

@ 2015-08-28 14:11       ` Rusi
From: Rusi @ 2015-08-28 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Friday, August 28, 2015 at 7:11:48 PM UTC+5:30, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 06:07:15 -0700 (PDT)
> > From: Rusi

> > > What do you mean by "work"?  Should it produce A-key or M-key in
> > > Emacs?
> >
> > Sorry for not being clear... I guess this is OT
> > Best I can see Alt generates nothing
> > Naturally I would like Alt-x to be emacs' M-x as it does in
> > windows and gnu/linux desktops.
>
> I think this happens automatically with PuTTY.  It does for me.
>
> Are you sure it's not something in your TERM value and the
> corresponding terminfo entry on the target machine?  What happens if
> you type "ESC x", does Emacs on the remote see "M-x"?  If it does,
> audit the PuTTY settings on the PuTTY's "Keyboard" and "Features"
> panes (under "Terminal").  Maybe also "Behaviour" under "Window".

Ok thanks -- will check these (office machine thin clients talking to a VM)
ESC-x works as M-x

* Re: Alt Putty
       [not found]       ` <mailman.86.1440769745.19560.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2015-08-28 14:14         ` Rusi
From: Rusi @ 2015-08-28 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Friday, August 28, 2015 at 7:19:07 PM UTC+5:30, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> alt needs not to be captured by emacs so it can get to putty then have
> putty work.

Cant make out what you are trying to say.
Other way would have made some sense; ie
«alt needs not to be captured by putty so it can get to emacs »

* Re: Alt Putty
@ 2015-08-28 19:47       ` Bob Proulx
       [not found]       ` <mailman.106.1440791227.19560.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Bob Proulx @ 2015-08-28 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rusi wrote:
> By which I mean that there must be some putty setting to make Alt behave like
> well like Alt :-).
> google was not much helpful

Works for me.  Using putty.exe and emacs in the standard text console
mode and Alt works like Meta by default.  It does this by prefixing
the key with ESC.  That is Alt-x on the putty.exe keyboard produces
"ESC x" sent over the serial data stream.  This can be easily seen by
typing into 'od -tx1 -c' (finish with C-d eof) and looking at the
data.  Command line applications such as bash and emacs interpret "ESC
x" as M-x and behave appropriately.

I looked over my putty.exe configuration dialog screens but didn't see
an explicit option to enable or disable this.  I know I have not done
anything specific in this regard.  It is a feature I use almost every
time I have ever used putty.exe and I have never needed to configure
it explicitly.  It has always worked by default.

Therefore I conclude that it must be something in your environment
that is *preventing* this from working.  I'd say it works for other
people.  You will need to debug your environment and see why it
doesn't work for you.

Bob

* Re: Alt Putty
       [not found]       ` <mailman.106.1440791227.19560.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2015-08-29  3:13         ` Rusi
       [not found]           ` <mailman.123.1440833460.19560.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Rusi @ 2015-08-29  3:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Saturday, August 29, 2015 at 1:17:09 AM UTC+5:30, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Rusi wrote:
> > By which I mean that there must be some putty setting to make Alt behave like
> > well like Alt :-).
> > google was not much helpful
>
> Works for me.  Using putty.exe and emacs in the standard text console
> mode and Alt works like Meta by default.  It does this by prefixing
> the key with ESC.  That is Alt-x on the putty.exe keyboard produces
> "ESC x" sent over the serial data stream.  This can be easily seen by
> typing into 'od -tx1 -c' (finish with C-d eof) and looking at the
> data.  Command line applications such as bash and emacs interpret "ESC
> x" as M-x and behave appropriately.
>
> I looked over my putty.exe configuration dialog screens but didn't see
> an explicit option to enable or disable this.  I know I have not done
> anything specific in this regard.  It is a feature I use almost every
> time I have ever used putty.exe and I have never needed to configure
> it explicitly.  It has always worked by default.
>
> Therefore I conclude that it must be something in your environment
> that is *preventing* this from working.  I'd say it works for other
> people.  You will need to debug your environment and see why it
> doesn't work for you.
>
> Bob

Looking at things like:
http://blog.sanctum.geek.nz/putty-configuration/

I gather I need to set up a suitable terminfo (on server):

# apt-get install ncurses-term

And then set the $TERM to putty (not the default xterm) on the putty side

[Not on office-machines now so just talk ATM]

Right now tried opening an xterm and typing Alt-x
I get  this (captured with emacs -nw)

             position: 1 of 1 (0%), column: 0
            character: ø (displayed as ø) (codepoint 248, #o370, #xf8)
    preferred charset: unicode (Unicode (ISO10646))
code point in charset: 0xF8
               script: latin
               syntax: w 	which means: word
             category: .:Base, L:Left-to-right (strong), h:Korean, j:Japanese, l:Latin
             to input: type "C-x 8 RET HEX-CODEPOINT" or "C-x 8 RET NAME"
          buffer code: #xC3 #xB8
            file code: #xC3 #xB8 (encoded by coding system utf-8-unix)
              display: terminal code #xC3 #xB8

Character code properties: customize what to show
  name: LATIN SMALL LETTER O WITH STROKE
  old-name: LATIN SMALL LETTER O SLASH
  general-category: Ll (Letter, Lowercase)
  decomposition: (248) ('ø')

There is an overlay here:
 From 1 to 1
  face                 highlight

There are text properties here:
  fontified            t

* Re: Alt Putty
@ 2015-08-29  7:30           ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]           ` <mailman.123.1440833460.19560.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-08-29  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 20:13:11 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com>
>
> Looking at things like:
> http://blog.sanctum.geek.nz/putty-configuration/
>
> I gather I need to set up a suitable terminfo (on server):
>
> # apt-get install ncurses-term
>
> And then set the $TERM to putty (not the default xterm) on the putty side

FWIW, my TERM is set to xterm, and it works well.

> Right now tried opening an xterm and typing Alt-x
> I get  this (captured with emacs -nw)
>

>              position: 1 of 1 (0%), column: 0
>             character: ø (displayed as ø) (codepoint 248, #o370, #xf8)
>     preferred charset: unicode (Unicode (ISO10646))
> code point in charset: 0xF8

That's 'x' with the high bit set.  Do you see the same in "emacs -nw -Q"?
What does "C-h l" show after you type Alt-x?

* Re: Alt Putty
       [not found]           ` <mailman.123.1440833460.19560.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2015-08-29  7:36             ` Rusi
       [not found]               ` <mailman.125.1440835031.19560.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Rusi @ 2015-08-29  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Saturday, August 29, 2015 at 1:01:02 PM UTC+5:30, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 20:13:11 -0700 (PDT)
> > From: Rusi
> >
> > Looking at things like:
> > http://blog.sanctum.geek.nz/putty-configuration/
> >
> > I gather I need to set up a suitable terminfo (on server):
> >
> > # apt-get install ncurses-term
> >
> > And then set the $TERM to putty (not the default xterm) on the putty side
>
> FWIW, my TERM is set to xterm, and it works well.
>
> > Right now tried opening an xterm and typing Alt-x
> > I get  this (captured with emacs -nw)
> >

> >              position: 1 of 1 (0%), column: 0
> >             character: ø (displayed as ø) (codepoint 248, #o370, #xf8)
> >     preferred charset: unicode (Unicode (ISO10646))
> > code point in charset: 0xF8
>
> That's 'x' with the high bit set.  Do you see the same in "emacs -nw -Q"?
> What does "C-h l" show after you type Alt-x?

ESC [ > 4 1 ; 3 1 2 ; 0 c ESC ] 1 1 ; r g b : 0 0 0
0 / 0 0 0 0 / 0 0 0 0 ESC \ ø C-h l

[Note this is a bit academic as I am not on the systems where I need this]

* Re: Alt Putty
@ 2015-08-29  7:56               ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]               ` <mailman.125.1440835031.19560.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-08-29  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2015 00:36:58 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com>
>
> > >              position: 1 of 1 (0%), column: 0
> > >             character: ø (displayed as ø) (codepoint 248, #o370, #xf8)
> > >     preferred charset: unicode (Unicode (ISO10646))
> > > code point in charset: 0xF8
> >
> > That's 'x' with the high bit set.  Do you see the same in "emacs -nw -Q"?
> > What does "C-h l" show after you type Alt-x?
>
> ESC [ > 4 1 ; 3 1 2 ; 0 c ESC ] 1 1 ; r g b : 0 0 0
> 0 / 0 0 0 0 / 0 0 0 0 ESC \ ø C-h l

Is this in "emacs -nw -Q"?

Does it help to evaluate this:

  (set-input-meta-mode t)

And what does evaluating (current-input-mode) produce?

> [Note this is a bit academic as I am not on the systems where I need this]

Then perhaps it would be wiser to wait until you are on those systems,
and post data from there?

* Re: Alt Putty
       [not found]               ` <mailman.125.1440835031.19560.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2015-08-30  2:35                 ` Rusi
From: Rusi @ 2015-08-30  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Saturday, August 29, 2015 at 1:27:12 PM UTC+5:30, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Then perhaps it would be wiser to wait until you are on those systems,
> and post data from there?

Sorry about that
Its devil vs deep blue sea.

Office: Its a firewalled prison
And I dont understand the environment
And the sysads in charge are not exactly clued in

Home machine(s): I can try things and I am familiar
But its not the relevant system

Anyways Ive learnt some from yours and Bob so far... Will try some more
on Monday