all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* display information in seperate buffer
@ 2005-06-28 10:04 Fabian Braennstroem
       [not found] ` <mailman.1563.1120030207.2857.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Fabian Braennstroem @ 2005-06-28 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw

Hi,

I wonder if there exist any package that filters out some
information about certain files using dired and display
those in a separate buffer.
I mean I would like to extract lines with certain keywords
(e.g. fluid and turbulence) or special lines from the file
which is currently 'active' in dired. It is probably similar
to some mbox filtering. And more advanced: if two files are
'active/marked' then show the infos in separate windows and
highlight the differences (probably like ediff-buffers).

Greetings, Fabian

* Re: display information in seperate buffer
@ 2005-06-29  7:18 ` Emilio Lopes
       [not found] ` <mailman.1563.1120030207.2857.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emilio Lopes @ 2005-06-29  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw

Fabian Braennstroem <fab <at> ddorf.de> writes:

> I wonder if there exist any package that filters out some
> information about certain files using dired and display
> those in a separate buffer.
> I mean I would like to extract lines with certain keywords
> (e.g. fluid and turbulence) or special lines from the file
> which is currently 'active' in dired. It is probably similar
> to some mbox filtering. And more advanced: if two files are
> 'active/marked' then show the infos in separate windows and
> highlight the differences (probably like ediff-buffers).

Do you know about `occur', `multi-occur' and `dired-do-igrep'
(from igrep.el)?  They should be a good starting point.

  -ECL

@ 2005-06-29 14:36   ` Fabian Braennstroem
From: Fabian Braennstroem @ 2005-06-29 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw

Hi Emilio,

On 2005-06-29, Emilio Lopes <eclig@gmx.net> wrote:
>  Fabian Braennstroem <fab <at> ddorf.de> writes:
>
> > I wonder if there exist any package that filters out some
> > information about certain files using dired and display
> > those in a separate buffer.
> > I mean I would like to extract lines with certain keywords
> > (e.g. fluid and turbulence) or special lines from the file
> > which is currently 'active' in dired. It is probably similar
> > to some mbox filtering. And more advanced: if two files are
> > 'active/marked' then show the infos in separate windows and
> > highlight the differences (probably like ediff-buffers).
>
>  Do you know about `occur', `multi-occur' and `dired-do-igrep'
>  (from igrep.el)?  They should be a good starting point.

No, never heard of occur and my first attempt to use the igrep did not work.
Thanks, I will take a look at it.

@ 2005-06-30  9:42     ` Fabian Braennstroem
From: Fabian Braennstroem @ 2005-06-30  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw

Hi,

On 2005-06-29, Fabian Braennstroem <fab@ddorf.de> wrote:
>  Hi Emilio,
>
>  On 2005-06-29, Emilio Lopes <eclig@gmx.net> wrote:
> >  Fabian Braennstroem <fab <at> ddorf.de> writes:
> >
> > > I wonder if there exist any package that filters out some
> > > information about certain files using dired and display
> > > those in a separate buffer.
> > > I mean I would like to extract lines with certain keywords
> > > (e.g. fluid and turbulence) or special lines from the file
> > > which is currently 'active' in dired. It is probably similar
> > > to some mbox filtering. And more advanced: if two files are
> > > 'active/marked' then show the infos in separate windows and
> > > highlight the differences (probably like ediff-buffers).
> >
> >  Do you know about `occur', `multi-occur' and `dired-do-igrep'
> >  (from igrep.el)?  They should be a good starting point.
>
>  No, never heard of occur and my first attempt to use the
>  igrep did not work.
>  Thanks, I will take a look at it.

Occur/Multi-occur looks great and igrep was just an old version :-) I always
had problems to find the newest packages; it looks like that
emacswiki has some of the newest ones...

One question to multi-occur, right now it displays the
matching lines for the given regexp for the chosen files, which is
fine, but am I able to run some kine of ediff so multi-occur
highlights the different listed lines, e.g.:

  20 matches for "inlet" in buffer: *Occur*<2>
   35:       inletvelocity = 10 [m/s]
   38:       inlet = 2
  9 matches for "inlet" in buffer: keps_small_301.out
   36:       inletvelocity = 20 [m/s]
   40:       inlet = 2

So it would highlight the lines containing 'inletvelocity'!?

@ 2005-06-30 17:01       ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-06-30 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw

Fabian Braennstroem wrote:
 > One question to multi-occur, right now it displays the
 > matching lines for the given regexp for the chosen files, which is
 > fine, but am I able to run some kine of ediff so multi-occur
 > highlights the different listed lines, e.g.:
 >
 >   20 matches for "inlet" in buffer: *Occur*<2>
 >    35:       inletvelocity = 10 [m/s]
 >    38:       inlet = 2
 >   9 matches for "inlet" in buffer: keps_small_301.out
 >    36:       inletvelocity = 20 [m/s]
 >    40:       inlet = 2
 >
 > So it would highlight the lines containing 'inletvelocity'!?

Run ediff-buffers normally, then use `#f' to focus it on the differences
you're interested in (those that match "inletvelocity").

--
Kevin Rodgers