On 24/09/17 18:06, Emanuel Berg wrote: > Hold - perhaps the verification has to be > verified as well? What any proof of correctness proves is an implication saying roughly: “IF the environment meets these requisites THEN the program does […]”. The “bugs” described in the aforementioned paper are not a flaw in the proof. The source of the problem is that EITHER the programs under test were being used in an environment does not meet the requisites (i.e.: “IF the environment meets”) OR the user was expecting the program to do something different than what is guaranteed by the conclusion “the program does […]”. > C'mon now, this is just another > Computer Science hangup. Just like > functional programming, or testing for that > matter - which also is an academic pursuit, by > the way! [1] - but as always, there is no > silver bullet solution. This is the prevalent attitude among programmers, and this is the reason that we are showered by an endless stream of security patches and bug fixes. > If I'd send the space fleet to the oldest > galaxies of the universe, I'd like all methods > anyone could think of to make as sure as > possible the software is correct. > > I'd start with very skilled and motivated > programmers, proceed with sound programming > practices, then code review, and then > excessive testing. > > I suppose formal verification would be > a distant fourth. Well, then it is a very good thing that you are NOT in charge of designing that piece of software. -- Do not eat animals; respect them as you respect people. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+to+(become+OR+eat)+vegan