On 2016-12-16 18:16, Drew Adams wrote: >>> "Narrowing breaks proof-general". Really? Narrowing did that? >> >> I mean that narrowing a buffer causes Proof General to misbehave. That's >> obviously a Proof General bug; I only intended it as an example of a >> facility for which narrowing made things harder. > > OK. But that's like saying that variables break program `xyz' > because variables make things harder. Yes, things that change > state make things harder, and that includes narrowing. If this > were Haskell then things wouldn't be so hard... Yup. I think a significant part of the issue is just that some devs forget that using point-min may require widening. I didn't know about for a while, even after I started programming in ELisp.