all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* mime-compose.el and Debian
@ 2005-05-27 15:26 Brendan Halpin
From: Brendan Halpin @ 2005-05-27 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

I use mime-compose.el to attach files to mail in mail-mode, and was
caught out when I upgraded to the latest Debian because mime-compose is
hard-wired to use mmencode, whereas Debian offers mimencode
instead.

Is mime-compose obsolete, and if so what should I be using to
compose mime mail?

Brendan
--
Brendan Halpin,  Department of Sociology,  University of Limerick,  Ireland
Tel: w +353-61-213147 f +353-61-202569 h +353-61-338562; Room F2-025 x 3147

* Re: mime-compose.el and Debian
@ 2005-05-27 15:28 ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2005-05-27 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Brendan> I use mime-compose.el to attach files to mail in mail-mode,
  Brendan> and was caught out when I upgraded to the latest Debian
  Brendan> because mime-compose is hard-wired to use mmencode, whereas
  Brendan> Debian offers mimencode instead.

  Brendan> Is mime-compose obsolete, and if so what should I be using
  Brendan> to compose mime mail?

I tend to use Gnus these days, which has full read/write support for
mime. Have you tried message-mode (rather than mail-mode). MML (the
mime support) should just work.

Phil

* Re: mime-compose.el and Debian
@ 2005-05-27 16:19   ` Brendan Halpin
From: Brendan Halpin @ 2005-05-27 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Phillip Lord <p.lord@cs.man.ac.uk> writes:

>   Brendan> I use mime-compose.el to attach files to mail in mail-mode,
>   Brendan> and was caught out when I upgraded to the latest Debian
>   Brendan> because mime-compose is hard-wired to use mmencode, whereas
>   Brendan> Debian offers mimencode instead.
>
>   Brendan> Is mime-compose obsolete, and if so what should I be using
>   Brendan> to compose mime mail?
>

> I tend to use Gnus these days, which has full read/write support for
> mime. Have you tried message-mode (rather than mail-mode). MML (the
> mime support) should just work.

I do use both (ie currently in message-mode), but can't break the
RMAIL habit so I get mail-mode when I do C-u R.

As it happens my problem is trivial, since mmencode is just an 8.3
truncation of mimencode; I've solved it before by creating a
symlink and this time by conditional code in .emacs.

Brendan
--

@ 2005-05-30 10:10     ` Brendan Halpin
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2624.1117558671.25862.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Brendan Halpin @ 2005-05-30 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On the face of it, message-mode and mml seem more sophisticated
than mail-mode with mime-compose.el. Googling lead me to a 2-year
old discussion on emacs-devel between Lars Ingebrigtsen and RMS
ago, where merging message-mode back into mail-mode was discussed.
I can't find anything newer, so has any progress been made in this
direction?

Brendan
--

@ 2005-05-31 16:44     ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2624.1117558671.25862.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-05-31 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brendan Halpin wrote:

 >>  Brendan> I use mime-compose.el to attach files to mail in mail-mode,
 >>  Brendan> and was caught out when I upgraded to the latest Debian
 >>  Brendan> because mime-compose is hard-wired to use mmencode, whereas
 >>  Brendan> Debian offers mimencode instead.
 >>
 >>  Brendan> Is mime-compose obsolete, and if so what should I be using
 >>  Brendan> to compose mime mail?
 >>

 >>I tend to use Gnus these days, which has full read/write support for
 >>mime. Have you tried message-mode (rather than mail-mode). MML (the
 >>mime support) should just work.
 >

 > I do use both (ie currently in message-mode), but can't break the
 > RMAIL habit so I get mail-mode when I do C-u R.

Doesn't RMAIL respect mail-user-agent?

(setq mail-user-agent 'message-user-agent)

--
Kevin Rodgers

@ 2005-05-31 17:10       ` Brendan Halpin
From: Brendan Halpin @ 2005-05-31 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

> Brendan Halpin wrote:
>  > I do use both (ie currently in message-mode), but can't break the
>  > RMAIL habit so I get mail-mode when I do C-u R.
>
> Doesn't RMAIL respect mail-user-agent?
>
> (setq mail-user-agent 'message-user-agent)

Yes, it does, but my problem is knowing which one I *should* use,
in terms of long-term development of functionality.

I was thinking that I should go to message-mode, which is on the
face of it more sophisticated, but mail-mode is core Emacs, and RMS
is in favour of it staying that way (and in theory merging
message-mode functionality back into mail-mode, but I don't know if
that is happening).

Brendan

--

@ 2005-05-31 19:49         ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-05-31 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brendan Halpin wrote:
 > Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:
 >>Doesn't RMAIL respect mail-user-agent?
 >>
 >>(setq mail-user-agent 'message-user-agent)
 >
 > Yes, it does, but my problem is knowing which one I *should* use,
 > in terms of long-term development of functionality.
 >
 > I was thinking that I should go to message-mode, which is on the
 > face of it more sophisticated, but mail-mode is core Emacs, and RMS
 > is in favour of it staying that way (and in theory merging
 > message-mode functionality back into mail-mode, but I don't know if
 > that is happening).

What is this core Emacs you speak of?

Judging from the lisp/ChangeLog and gnus/ChangeLog files in CVS, both
mail/sendmail.el and gnus/message.el are being actively maintained but
not much further developed.  So I'd go with the one that actually
provides the functionality you need.

--
Kevin Rodgers