all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* detached minibuffer woes
@ 2005-05-13 18:11 David Nelson
From: David Nelson @ 2005-05-13 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm using Carbon Emacs (emacs for OS X) which is based on GNU Emacs
22.0.50.2. OS X has a "click to focus" window manager.

I'm trying to set up a detached or floating minibuffer arrangement.
I've nearly got this working the way I would like, but I've hit a
wall. As currently configured, I'm using minibuffer-setup-hook to
raise the frame containing the minibuffer. I use minibuffer-exit-hook
to set the focus back to the frame I was working in when the
minibuffer is done.

This works great except that if the minibuffer is showing status
information, it does not get raised.

I tried using minibuffer-auto-raise, but that's too aggressive. It
takes the focus away from the window I'm working on for everything
concerning the minibuffer. For example, if I do something involving
setting the mark, the minibuffer displays a message about that, but
it also takes the focus away from the frame I'm editing in.

Ideally, there would be a variable that would cause the minibuffer to
be raised, but without stealing the focus.

Does anyone have any suggestions on this. I suspect the problems is
the lack of focus follows mouse in OS X's window manager.

Thanks ...