all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* different fonts and different heights
@ 2009-07-31  9:57 Kiwon Um
From: Kiwon Um @ 2009-07-31  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello. Let's discuss about follows.

When we use a combination font-setting of over two fonts in emacs, it
may be due to the multi-language editing support. Those different
fonts have varieties in their size, e.g. many Asian glyphs occupy
double width space of an alphabet. (Even though the wide font is not
perfectly double wide space of one alphabet, many users want that the
occupied size of one wide character such as Asian character to be
exactly same with two alphabet characters, namely fixed font setting)

However, we must consider the line spacing, I mean the height of the
fonts. Although the width between different fonts have variation along
each other, the height (or line spacing) should keep same, or, at
least, user must be able to set the base height, IMO.

To keep the consistency in the height spacing with various widths,
emacs needs to check the largest height value along each specified
charset(fontset). Currently, emacs seems to set the base height as the
value of the default fontset. Then, if the height value of other user-
specified charset's font is larger, it may cause inconsistent result
in line spacing. (This is exactly now happening.)

So, how can users specify different fontsets with different sizes for
each, but with consistent height?
As you all already know, users can set the line-spacing value to
control the space between lines. But this
works only for the space between lines, not for the height of a line
itself.

Here is one case with the problem:
    (set-face-font 'default (font-spec :family "terminus" :size 12.0))
    (set-fontset-font nil 'korean-ksc5601
                      (font-spec :family "Guseul" :registry "unicode-
bmp" :lang "ko" :size 14.0)))

Thanks.

* Re: different fonts and different heights
@ 2009-07-31 23:00 ` Byung-Hee HWANG
From: Byung-Hee HWANG @ 2009-07-31 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Kiwon Um <um.kiwon@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello. Let's discuss about follows.
>
> When we use a combination font-setting of over two fonts in emacs, it
> may be due to the multi-language editing support. Those different
> fonts have varieties in their size, e.g. many Asian glyphs occupy
> double width space of an alphabet. (Even though the wide font is not
> perfectly double wide space of one alphabet, many users want that the
> occupied size of one wide character such as Asian character to be
> exactly same with two alphabet characters, namely fixed font setting)
>
> However, we must consider the line spacing, I mean the height of the
> fonts. Although the width between different fonts have variation along
> each other, the height (or line spacing) should keep same, or, at
> least, user must be able to set the base height, IMO.
>
> To keep the consistency in the height spacing with various widths,
> emacs needs to check the largest height value along each specified
> charset(fontset). Currently, emacs seems to set the base height as the
> value of the default fontset. Then, if the height value of other user-
> specified charset's font is larger, it may cause inconsistent result
> in line spacing. (This is exactly now happening.)
>
> So, how can users specify different fontsets with different sizes for
> each, but with consistent height?
> As you all already know, users can set the line-spacing value to
> control the space between lines. But this
> works only for the space between lines, not for the height of a line
> itself.
>
> Here is one case with the problem:
>     (set-face-font 'default (font-spec :family "terminus" :size 12.0))
>     (set-fontset-font nil 'korean-ksc5601
>                       (font-spec :family "Guseul" :registry "unicode-
> bmp" :lang "ko" :size 14.0)))
>
> Thanks.

Hello Kiwon,

Firstly i can't give you good answer to solve your problem, actually i'm
newbie at Emacs. Personally i think this is somewhat local issue what
Korean folks can recognize. There is professional Emacs guy in Korea,
too. May i introduce the guy to you? Well i think he can solve your
problem. Please check out
[http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs-ko/hangul.el]. Then contact the
author. Good job, Kiwon!

Sincerely,

--
"Mr. Woltz suggested you bring an overnight bag and he'll get you to the
airport in the morning."

* Re: different fonts and different heights
@ 2009-08-01  2:55   ` Kiwon Um
From: Kiwon Um @ 2009-08-01  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 8월1일, 오전8시00분, Byung-Hee HWANG <b...@izb.knu.ac.kr> wrote:
> Kiwon Um <um.ki...@gmail.com> writes:
> > Hello. Let's discuss about follows.
>
> > When we use a combination font-setting of over two fonts in emacs, it
> > may be due to the multi-language editing support. Those different
> > fonts have varieties in their size, e.g. many Asian glyphs occupy
> > double width space of an alphabet. (Even though the wide font is not
> > perfectly double wide space of one alphabet, many users want that the
> > occupied size of one wide character such as Asian character to be
> > exactly same with two alphabet characters, namely fixed font setting)
>
> > However, we must consider the line spacing, I mean the height of the
> > fonts. Although the width between different fonts have variation along
> > each other, the height (or line spacing) should keep same, or, at
> > least, user must be able to set the base height, IMO.
>
> > To keep the consistency in the height spacing with various widths,
> > emacs needs to check the largest height value along each specified
> > charset(fontset). Currently, emacs seems to set the base height as the
> > value of the default fontset. Then, if the height value of other user-
> > specified charset's font is larger, it may cause inconsistent result
> > in line spacing. (This is exactly now happening.)
>
> > So, how can users specify different fontsets with different sizes for
> > each, but with consistent height?
> > As you all already know, users can set the line-spacing value to
> > control the space between lines. But this
> > works only for the space between lines, not for the height of a line
> > itself.
>
> > Here is one case with the problem:
> >     (set-face-font 'default (font-spec :family "terminus" :size 12.0))
> >     (set-fontset-font nil 'korean-ksc5601
> >                       (font-spec :family "Guseul" :registry "unicode-
> > bmp" :lang "ko" :size 14.0)))
>
> > Thanks.
>
> Hello Kiwon,
>
> Firstly i can't give you good answer to solve your problem, actually i'm
> newbie at Emacs. Personally i think this is somewhat local issue what
> Korean folks can recognize. There is professional Emacs guy in Korea,
> too. May i introduce the guy to you? Well i think he can solve your
> problem. Please check out
> [http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs-ko/hangul.el]. Then contact the
> author. Good job, Kiwon!
>
> Sincerely,
>
> --
> "Mr. Woltz suggested you bring an overnight bag and he'll get you to the
> airport in the morning."
> "I'll do that."
>                 -- The secretary and Tom Hagen, "Chapter 1", page 58

Thanks for your reply. I posted this content to KLDP too. Thanks. :)