On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 2:01 AM, Chong Yidong wrote: > Thanks for the backtrace. > > Could you go to the third breakpoint, i.e. > > Fset_frame_size (frame=147078268, cols=896, rows=384) > > and check the following variables? > > n > n > n > n (until f is assigned) > p f->new_text_lines > p f->new_text_cols > > Also, could you send me the minimal .emacs and .Xresources required to > reproduce this bug for you? > > Thanks. gdb log attached. Note: 'f' was not available inside Fset_frame_size (due to optimization perhaps), so I got the info inside x_set_window_size() instead. My recipe: - set aside .emacs (I have no .Xresources) - run emacs (-> gets me an 80x37 frame) - run emacs --geometry 132x60 ( gets me an 132x57 frame) => these are explained by menu/toolbars, if I disable those, X reports the window as 132x60; while this bothers me a little, if it just means I have to ask for 132x63, that would be fine I guess - customize-face default, set font to terminus (foundry xos4), and height to 135 - run emacs --geometry 132x60 -> erratic results Checking now, it looks like it's the terminus font causing the current troubles, a few other fonts I've checked (e.g. adobe courier) seem to end up at 132x57 reliably. This puzzles me, as I am sure I originally reproduced it by changing only the font height and keeping the font itself unchanged. I'm also getting max-specpdl-size exceeded on C-x 5 2, so I cannot check the previously observed behaviour that even when the initial frame is erratically sized, subsequent frames are fine.