all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Start in shell mode
@ 2008-10-02  7:28 Decebal
       [not found] ` <mailman.21.1222934832.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Decebal @ 2008-10-02  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Not very important, but I was wondering if it is possible to start
Emacs default in shell mode?

* Re: Start in shell mode
@ 2008-10-02  8:06 ` Nick Sandow
       [not found] ` <mailman.21.1222934832.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nick Sandow @ 2008-10-02  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Decebal; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

You can use variable `initial-major-mode' for this.

(setq initial-major-mode 'shell)

Decebal wrote:
> Not very important, but I was wondering if it is possible to start
> Emacs default in shell mode?

* Re: Start in shell mode
       [not found] ` <mailman.21.1222934832.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-10-02  8:36   ` Decebal
From: Decebal @ 2008-10-02  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2 okt, 10:06, Nick Sandow <njs...@internode.on.net> wrote:
> You can use variable `initial-major-mode' for this.
>
> (setq initial-major-mode 'shell)

Works, thanks. The only problem is that the cursor starts at the
beging of the line, but with a cursor down that is solved.

* Re: Start in shell mode
@ 2008-10-02 21:02     ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2008-10-02 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article
<457a5817-c1e6-4161-9cd0-21e3572f7725@l62g2000hse.googlegroups.com>,
 Decebal <CLDWesterhof@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2 okt, 10:06, Nick Sandow <njs...@internode.on.net> wrote:
> > You can use variable `initial-major-mode' for this.
> >
> > (setq initial-major-mode 'shell)
>
> Works, thanks. The only problem is that the cursor starts at the
> beging of the line, but with a cursor down that is solved.

This will change the mode of the *scratch* buffer.  What I do instead is
put

(shell)

at the end of my .emacs file.  This will create the normal *shell*
buffer and switch to it.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA