all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Mx outputs captial o with slash?
@ 2007-12-04  6:02 seth
       [not found] ` <mailman.4540.1196846089.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: seth @ 2007-12-04  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

My emacs seems to have gone a bit odd lately.  When I type M-x, it
outputs an o with a slash through it.  This prevents me from entering
extended commands.

Any ideas what could have caused this?  This is on a ubuntu 7.10.  I
tried removing my .Xresources and .inputrc files but it still happens.

Thanks in advance.

* Re: Mx outputs captial o with slash?
@ 2007-12-05  9:12 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.4540.1196846089.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-12-05  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: seth; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 04.12.2007 um 07:02 schrieb seth:

> My emacs seems to have gone a bit odd lately.  When I type M-x, it
> outputs an o with a slash through it.  This prevents me from entering
> extended commands.

Are you running it in some terminal emulation (which one?) or freely,
as an X client?

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

For some reason, this fortune reminds everyone of Marvin Zelkowitz.

@ 2007-12-05 17:13   ` seth
       [not found]     ` <mailman.4595.1196882200.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: seth @ 2007-12-05 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Are you running it in some terminal emulation (which one?) or freely,
> as an X client?
This only happens in xterm actually.  aterm and rxvt are fine.  Emacs
X client is fine.

I tried messing with my Xresources and inputrc but to no avail.

@ 2007-12-05 19:16     ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]     ` <mailman.4595.1196882200.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-12-05 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: seth; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 05.12.2007 um 18:13 schrieb seth:

> This only happens in xterm actually.  aterm and rxvt are fine.  Emacs
> X client is fine.
>
> I tried messing with my Xresources and inputrc but to no avail.

X resources is a good start! There are settings for 8 bit control
characters (eightBitControl) and Meta sends Escape (metaSendsEscape).
The former should be false by default and the latter true by non-
default. Both can also be set in the pop-up menu "Main Options" on C-
mouse-1.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Chicago, n.:
         Where the dead still vote ... early and often!

@ 2007-12-05 19:28       ` seth
From: seth @ 2007-12-05 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Most excellent.

With your tip, I found this:
<http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs-en/MetaKeyProblems#toc15>
and those modifications seem to have fixed the problem after a logout/
login.

Thank you!