all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* setting mail-self-blind to t has no effect
@ 2010-03-23 17:08 Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2010-03-23 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I would like to add a "Bcc:" field in my emails that I compose from
emacs (by calling compose-mail).

'mail-self-blind' seems to do the job but setting this variable to
true doesn't work, no Bcc header is added, whereas doing:

(setq mail-default-headers (concat "Bcc: " user-mail-address))

work.

Could anybody know why the first solution doesn't work.

thanks

* Re: setting mail-self-blind to t has no effect
@ 2010-03-23 17:45 ` Jeff Clough
From: Jeff Clough @ 2010-03-23 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

> I would like to add a "Bcc:" field in my emails that I compose from
> emacs (by calling compose-mail).

Compose mail also relies on whatever is assigned to mail-user-agent.  Do
this...

(setq mail-user-agent 'sendmail-user-agent)

And see if that works.  It works for me, but if I have gnus-user-agent
in there, it doesn't.

> 'mail-self-blind' seems to do the job but setting this variable to
> true doesn't work, no Bcc header is added, whereas doing:

This should do the job, in theory, but it looks like it's up to the
actual user agent to pay attention to it.

> Could anybody know why the first solution doesn't work.

My guess is that you're running Gnus (or at least, some other package
that doesn't pay attention to mail-self-blind).  Gnus has it's own way
of doing this, which you can find discussed here:

http://sunsite.ualberta.ca/Documentation/Gnu/emacs-20.7/html_chapter/gnus_5.html#SEC125

Alternatively, you could just use the sendmail-user-agent and have this
stuff sent back to you.  I chose this as the path of least resistance.
At least for now.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

* Re: setting mail-self-blind to t has no effect
@ 2010-03-23 20:49   ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2010-03-23 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello

On Mar 23, 6:45 pm, Jeff Clough <j...@chaosphere.com> wrote:
> Francis Moreau <francis.m...@gmail.com> writes:
> > I would like to add a "Bcc:" field in my emails that I compose from
> > emacs (by calling compose-mail).
>
> Compose mail also relies on whatever is assigned to mail-user-agent.  Do
> this...
>
> (setq mail-user-agent 'sendmail-user-agent)
>
> And see if that works.  It works for me, but if I have gnus-user-agent
> in there, it doesn't.

you're right, I have 'gnus-user-agent' and changing to 'sendmail-user-
agent' make it works.

> > 'mail-self-blind' seems to do the job but setting this variable to
> > true doesn't work, no Bcc header is added, whereas doing:
>
> This should do the job, in theory, but it looks like it's up to the
> actual user agent to pay attention to it.
>
> > Could anybody know why the first solution doesn't work.
>
> My guess is that you're running Gnus (or at least, some other package
> that doesn't pay attention to mail-self-blind).  Gnus has it's own way
> of doing this, which you can find discussed here:
>
> http://sunsite.ualberta.ca/Documentation/Gnu/emacs-20.7/html_chapter/...
>
> Alternatively, you could just use the sendmail-user-agent and have this
> stuff sent back to you.  I chose this as the path of least resistance.
> At least for now.

I use gnus-user-agent, in order to retrieve some gnus bindings when
composing  mails. I don't know about the Mail package which is
selected by sendmail-user-agent but I have to admit that I feel too
lazy to learn one more package just to be able to use mail-self-blind.

Thanks