all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* gnus is not showing all my messages
@ 2010-01-14 17:33 evan
From: evan @ 2010-01-14 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello all,

I configured gnus v5.13 for reading my email (imap) but it looks like
it's not showing all the messages from my inbox. I can only see the
very oldest message and a few recent ones, even after I run gnus-
summary-insert-old-articles. I can see through the webmail and
thunderbird that there are more messages in my inbox. Also, it seems
to show all the messages in my INBOX.sent-mail folder and in another
folder which I checked, so I believe that the problem is only with the
INBOX folder. I would appreciate if you have any suggestions to make
gnus show all the messages from  my inbox. I looked in this group and
elsewhere but I couldn't find any help.

Thanks.

* Re: gnus is not showing all my messages
@ 2010-01-15  1:35 ` Frank Fredstone
From: Frank Fredstone @ 2010-01-15  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

evan <evangelou@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> I configured gnus v5.13 for reading my email (imap) but it looks like
> it's not showing all the messages from my inbox. I can only see the
> very oldest message and a few recent ones, even after I run gnus-
> summary-insert-old-articles. I can see through the webmail and
> thunderbird that there are more messages in my inbox. Also, it seems
> to show all the messages in my INBOX.sent-mail folder and in another
> folder which I checked, so I believe that the problem is only with the
> INBOX folder. I would appreciate if you have any suggestions to make
> gnus show all the messages from  my inbox. I looked in this group and
> elsewhere but I couldn't find any help.

You may be entering the mail group by pressing space, which by default
shows only unread messages. Pressing enter, shows read and unread
messages.

Or, see the function gnus-topic-select-group.

* Re: gnus is not showing all my messages
@ 2010-01-15 10:50   ` evan
From: evan @ 2010-01-15 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello, Thanks for your reply.

Let me say that I don't have any unread emails in my inbox so when I
hit either Return or Space in the Group buffer I get the message
"How many articles from INBOX (defauly 274):" (I am aware that 274 is
not the actual number of my messages but a scoring) and then I hit
Return.  In the Summary buffer gnus shows me only 8 messages out of
80.

I also tried the gnus-topic-select-group function. I ran  (gnus-topic-
select-group -200), for example, but that shows me only the very first
message while (gnus-topic-select-group 7) shows me the last 4.

@ 2010-01-15 20:02     ` Frank Fredstone
From: Frank Fredstone @ 2010-01-15 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

evan <evangelou@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello, Thanks for your reply.
>
> Let me say that I don't have any unread emails in my inbox so when I
> hit either Return or Space in the Group buffer I get the message
> "How many articles from INBOX (defauly 274):" (I am aware that 274 is
> not the actual number of my messages but a scoring) and then I hit
> Return.  In the Summary buffer gnus shows me only 8 messages out of
> 80.
>
> I also tried the gnus-topic-select-group function. I ran  (gnus-topic-
> select-group -200), for example, but that shows me only the very first
> message while (gnus-topic-select-group 7) shows me the last 4.

I probably don't have enough knowledge to help beyond this point. I can
offer that your message reminds me of this post:

http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.emacs.gnus/browse_thread/thread/7903eaaeeddc84e5#

* Re: gnus is not showing all my messages
@ 2010-01-15 23:46       ` evan
From: evan @ 2010-01-15 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

OK, I fixed it. The problem was rather non-intuitive. It appears that
gnus doesn't like a space in the name of the mail method. For example
the following causes a problem

(setq gnus-select-method '(nnimap "My Mail"
                                  (nnimap-address "imap.server.com")
                                  (nnimap-server-port 993)
                                  (nnimap-stream tls)
                                  ))

but if I replace "My Mail" with "MyMail" or "My\ Mail" all the
messages are displayed fine. I don't know if this behaviour is
something expected. Can someone else try this?