all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Replacing New Lines
@ 2005-04-06 15:32 exits funnel
From: exits funnel @ 2005-04-06 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I have a java source file which has through some
interaction with source control become double spaced.
In other words when I look at the file with hexdump, I
see two consecutive LFs everywhere I'd expect to see
only one.  I'm running Emacs 21.3.1 on RedHat Linux
and I'm trying to use query-replace to remove the
extraneous LFs but I can't quite get it.  Here's what
I'm trying:

M-[SHIFT]-% C-q [ENTER] C-q [ENTER] [ENTER] C-q
[ENTER] [ENTER]

Unfortunately, emacs replaces zero occurances so
obviously I'm doing something wrong.  If somone could
straighten me out I'd really appreciate it.  Thanks.

-exits

http://mail.yahoo.com

* Re: Replacing New Lines
@ 2005-04-06 17:34 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-04-06 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Comment: DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys
> Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 08:32:26 -0700 (PDT)
> From: exits funnel <exitsfunnel@yahoo.com>
>
> I'm trying:
>
> M-[SHIFT]-% C-q [ENTER] C-q [ENTER] [ENTER] C-q
> [ENTER] [ENTER]
>
> Unfortunately, emacs replaces zero occurances so
> obviously I'm doing something wrong.

The LF character is Ctrl-J, whereas Enter is Ctrl-M.  So you should
use "C-q C-j" instead of "C-q [ENTER]", and the command will do what
you want.

* Re: Replacing New Lines
@ 2005-04-06 17:44 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-04-06 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 06.04.2005 um 17:32 schrieb exits funnel:

> M-[SHIFT]-% C-q [ENTER] C-q [ENTER] [ENTER] C-q
> [ENTER] [ENTER]

RET is C-q C-m, LF is C-q C-j. You can check a character with C-x = or,
if it's more into Unicode, C-u C-x =.

--
Greetings

   Pete

* Re: Replacing New Lines
@ 2005-04-06 17:51 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-04-06 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

exits funnel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a java source file which has through some
> interaction with source control become double spaced.
> In other words when I look at the file with hexdump, I
> see two consecutive LFs everywhere I'd expect to see
> only one.  I'm running Emacs 21.3.1 on RedHat Linux
> and I'm trying to use query-replace to remove the
> extraneous LFs but I can't quite get it.  Here's what
> I'm trying:
>
> M-[SHIFT]-% C-q [ENTER] C-q [ENTER] [ENTER] C-q
> [ENTER] [ENTER]
>
> Unfortunately, emacs replaces zero occurances so
> obviously I'm doing something wrong.  If somone could
> straighten me out I'd really appreciate it.  Thanks.

Use `C-q C-j' instead of `C-q [ENTER]'.

The Enter key is the <return> function key aka the RET character aka C-m.
LFD is C-j.

--
Kevin Rodgers