On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 10:14 AM, B. T. Raven wrote: > Sam Albers wrote: > >> Hi! >> >>> Until I messed up my site-lisp directory, I >>>> conveniently had a LaTeX drop down menu within >>>> emacs. I didn't really use it that much it did >>>> provide me a list of keystrokes that were useful >>>> when working with a latex document. Now only a TeX >>>> drop down menu appears. I used to be able to run >>>> C-c C-c and then type LaTeX to compile my document. >>>> Now when I do this I am taken to a windows that >>>> looks exactly like my terminal instead of LaTeXing >>>> my document automatically. Other AucTex commands >>>> don't seem to work well either. >>>> >>>> C-c C-e should allow me to insert an environment >>>> but all it does it end the environment I am in >>>> whereas previously I call insert a new environment >>>> of my choice. >>>> >>>> My /usr/share/emacs/22.2/site-lisp directory is >>>> empty through a silly move by yours truly. I am >>>> using Ubuntu 9.04. >>>> >>> Looks like you're not using auctex at all but the built-in >>> tex-mode. Why don't you just reinstall the auctex-package via the >>> package manager? >>> >>> >> Thanks Anselm. I tried this earlier but it did not seem to fix the >> problem. >> Indeed it does seem like emacs is not detecting auctex at all. Not sure >> how >> to proceed. >> >> > But if you did this then your site-lisp subdirectory would no longer be > empty. You should be able to re-install by downloading tarball or zip here: > > http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/download-for-unix.html > > Also it seems that if you still have something like the following in your > .emacs, then that should produce errors because of missing files: > > (load "auctex.el" nil t t) > (load "preview-latex.el" nil t t) > > (setq TeX-auto-save t) > (setq TeX-parse-self t) > (setq-default TeX-master nil) > (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook 'turn-on-reftex) > (setq reftex-plug-into-AUCTeX t) > > I am on w32 but I think these issues are platform independent. > > Ed > > Thank you for your help. I seem to have a few too many emacs directories: /usr/share/emacs22/site-lisp which has ess and auctex files in it /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp which also has ess and auctex files in it /usr/share/emacs/22.2/site-lisp which is an empty folder. The weird thing is that ESS is still working fine while auctex seems to not be. Lastly, a newbie question. Is the .emacs file just a text file located in your home directory and does emacs look for it automatically there. That probably should be a new thread but it is pertinent to my issue. Thanks alot for your help. Sam