all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Passing key bound to function as argument
@ 2005-10-27 17:03 August Karlstrom
       [not found] ` <mailman.12946.1130439541.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: August Karlstrom @ 2005-10-27 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,

Suppose I want to make my own `self-insert-command' (but implemented in
Elisp). How would I go about?

August

* Re: Passing key bound to function as argument
@ 2005-10-27 18:53 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found] ` <mailman.12946.1130439541.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-10-27 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

August Karlstrom wrote:
 > Suppose I want to make my own `self-insert-command' (but implemented in
 > Elisp). How would I go about?

(defun self-insert-command (n)
   (interactive "p")
   ...)

But it won't get called, because command_loop_1 optimizes out the call
to the Lisp binding and uses the C binding (Fself_insert_command) directly.

--
Kevin Rodgers

@ 2005-10-27 20:58   ` August Karlstrom
       [not found]     ` <mailman.12961.1130447654.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: August Karlstrom @ 2005-10-27 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers wrote:
> August Karlstrom wrote:
>  > Suppose I want to make my own `self-insert-command' (but implemented in
>  > Elisp). How would I go about?
>
> (defun self-insert-command (n)
>   (interactive "p")
>   ...)
>
> But it won't get called, because command_loop_1 optimizes out the call
> to the Lisp binding and uses the C binding (Fself_insert_command) directly.

I have already tried

    (defun my-self-insert-command (n)
       (interactive "p")
       (insert n))

    (global-set-key "a" 'my-self-insert-command)
    (global-set-key "b" 'my-self-insert-command)

Pressing either a or b inserts the character with ordinal number 1
(instead of a or b) so that doesn't work.

@ 2005-10-27 21:10     ` Edward O'Connor
       [not found]     ` <mailman.12961.1130447654.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Edward O'Connor @ 2005-10-27 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is not the best way to do what you'd like, but ItWorksForMe(TM):

(defun ted-self-insert-command ()
  (insert (this-command-keys)))

Ted

--
Edward O'Connor
hober0@gmail.com

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.

@ 2005-10-27 21:55       ` August Karlstrom
From: August Karlstrom @ 2005-10-27 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Edward O'Connor wrote:
> This is not the best way to do what you'd like, but ItWorksForMe(TM):
>
> (defun ted-self-insert-command ()
>   (insert (this-command-keys)))

Thanks. I wrote my function like

    (defun f (key)
       (interactive (list (this-command-keys)))
       ...)

August