On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 22:47:10 +0200, Timur Aydin wrote: > I am working on an xml file that has an embedded CDATA section which > contains lua source code. I am mostly working on the lua code and would > like that code to be syntax highlighted by emacs. When I activate > lua-mode, it understandably gets confused because of all the surrounding > xml. When I activate xml-mode, the xml stuff is properly syntax > highlighted, but the lua code in the CDATA section is uniformly colored > plain text. > > Is there a way to utilize font-lock mode in a sensible manner? I > attempted to put the lua code in a separate file (script.lua) and then > included it into the xml using DOCTYPE and ENTITY tags, but this didn't > help, because I don't have any control over the software that parses > this xml file. It isn't able to deal with extra xml tags. > > So my only hope is to be able to tell emacs to font-lock a region > bounded by a CDATA tag using lua-mode and to font-lock the rest using > xml-mode. Is there a way to do this? I don't know how to do that. Did you consider using an indirect buffer? If you have the indirect buffer narrowed to the Lua code and with the correct major-mode, font-lock should work there.