all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* refer to "\n" in replace-regexp
@ 2003-11-18  8:18 Joerg Schuster
From: Joerg Schuster @ 2003-11-18  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I often need to replace characters with the "\n" character. How can
this be done with replace-regexp?

Is there a list of Emacs regexpressions somewhere in the net? (It took
me some time to find out (by trial and error) that "\t" has to be
referred to by pressing the TAB key.)

Jörg

* Re: refer to "\n" in replace-regexp
@ 2003-11-18  8:46 ` Edi Weitz
From: Edi Weitz @ 2003-11-18  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18 Nov 2003 09:18:23 +0100, Joerg Schuster <js@cis.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:

> I often need to replace characters with the "\n" character. How can
> this be done with replace-regexp?

I suppose you mean the newline character. You can do that with C-q C-j.

> Is there a list of Emacs regexpressions somewhere in the net? (It
> took me some time to find out (by trial and error) that "\t" has to
> be referred to by pressing the TAB key.)

That's actually not part of the regex syntax - tab and newline are
"just" ordinary characters. Try C-h k C-q to see what C-q is for.

Edi.

* Re: refer to "\n" in replace-regexp
@ 2003-11-18 10:16 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-11-18 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Nov 18 2003, Joerg Schuster wrote:

> Is there a list of Emacs regexpressions somewhere in the net?

Emacs already includes it's documentation[1]:

,----[ (info "(emacs)Regexps") ]
| Regular expressions have a syntax in which a few characters are
| special constructs and the rest are "ordinary".  An ordinary character
| is a simple regular expression which matches that same character and
| nothing else.  The special characters are `$', `^', `.', `*', `+', `?',
| `[', `]' and `\'.  Any other character appearing in a regular
| expression is ordinary, unless a `\' precedes it.  (When you use regular
| expressions in a Lisp program, each `\' must be doubled, see the
| example near the end of this section.)  [...]
`----

Bye, Reiner.

[1] (info "(emacs)Regexps"); <== Press C-x C-e here!
    or use `C-h i d m Emacs RET Regexps RET'
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: refer to "\n" in replace-regexp
@ 2003-11-18 10:52   ` Edi Weitz
From: Edi Weitz @ 2003-11-18 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 11:16:00 +0100, Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:

> Emacs already includes it's documentation[1]:

<http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~brians/errors/its.html>

:)

* Re: refer to "\n" in replace-regexp
@ 2003-11-19  9:24   ` Joerg Schuster