martin rudalics writes: > Your explanation is correct. The behavior is intended as a feature but > inherently breaks the behavior of `pop-to-buffer', especially when used > interactively. I intend to fix this soonish for Emacs 25 and also post > a simple workaround you can use for Emacs 24.4. > > Kindly add your observations to this thread > > http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=20206 > > so we can discuss the solution there. I couldn't find an obvious way to contribute to the thread. Anyway, I tried adding Eli's suggestions to ~/.emacs; this didn't seem to make any difference, even if I temporarily remove everything else from there.