all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Efficient Emacs usage?
@ 2004-11-22 14:58 FCC
From: FCC @ 2004-11-22 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,

Having been using Emacs for developing code and writing articles since
1998 on Windows which gave me enough time to discover its wealth of
features, now I wonder if I am using it the most productive way possible.

Yesterday, I was browsing the info node Emacs, and I came across the
function find-dired. Then, I thought, in the morning, at work, how does
one actually start working? Most of the time it is part of a file name
that is remembered, sometimes a directory. Using Explorer to try to find
it is probably the worst way of doing this (which, I admit, what I used
to do; sort of walking around the city trying to go to a friend's
place). Smarter is to search for a file or directory name using
Explorer; use mouse to choose one particular type of search, next fill
out a form (today's software world is very much in love with WYSIWYG
type``forms", which is sort of an overshoot to search for a file - if
not for many other things). Then, I discovered find-dired, and
configured it to use Cygwin, and by pressing a key combination plus
answering 2 questions on the minibuffer, my search was on the run
already. The resulting *find* buffer has another big advantage: It is a
dired buffer with tons of features: For example, I could copy the path
to clipboard, and then I could use it in opening or saving documents
with other Windows applications on the same directory, instead of
browsing my way through all the directories on my hard drive. There are
the desktop and session modes to remember all the open files from
yesterday. But to locate that one, one has to still search for a file or
directory name.

Probably next comes the search-replace functions that work inside a
buffer; specifically isearch-occur and isearch-forward-regexp. Then
comes the grep and its variants, plus other functionality in dired...
However, for file copying, renaming, moving, etc. I am using one of
those freely available Norton Commander-style  dual pane file managers,
called freeCommander. Very intuitive. I would love to use such a mode
that also supports the functionality of dired in Emacs. I know the
mc.el, and ec.el; but I could never get the function-key bindings
working with mc.el; and ec.el is too simple (it does not support dired).

But what if one is starting a new file? Use skeletons and
auto-inserting! I configured Emacs to auto-insert my template for that
particular type of file; for example several LaTeX templates or an elisp
function template. That is simply great; it not only saves you lots of
keystrokes, but also it lets you concentrate on the more important parts
of your work by freeing you from remembering all the exact syntax.

I am wondering if I am missing anything of Emacs that could be of great
use to me (sorry, gnus does not count for me, although I am very much
aware of its popularity among Emacs users, because probably it would be
more efficient for me if I did not have to check or send e-mails and
also spend less time on the internet).

Thanks in advance and best,

--
FCC.

===
Assimilate my shorts!
-Borg Simpson.

* Re: Efficient Emacs usage?
@ 2004-11-22 18:18 ` Phillip Lord
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Phillip Lord @ 2004-11-22 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

  FCC> Hello all,

  FCC> Having been using Emacs for developing code and writing
  FCC> articles since 1998 on Windows which gave me enough time to
  FCC> discover its wealth of features, now I wonder if I am using it
  FCC> the most productive way possible.

  FCC> Yesterday, I was browsing the info node Emacs, and I came
  FCC> across the function find-dired.

grep-find is similarly wonderful and useful.

Also ido.el which is totally different, but amazing for switching
buffers and opening files. ido.el is an add on, I think, or in the CVS
version of Emacs.

Cheers

Phil

* Re: Efficient Emacs usage?
@ 2004-11-22 18:47 ` Floyd L. Davidson
From: Floyd L. Davidson @ 2004-11-22 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

FCC <fcc509@netscape.net> wrote:

>I am wondering if I am missing anything of Emacs that could be of great
>use to me

For me there seems to be a never ending stream of new things to
find that emacs (and computers in general) can do that makes my
life fun.  And since both emacs and I change slowly over time, it
seems to be theoretically impossible that I'll ever reach the point
where I am *not* missing something (and enjoying finding something).

>(sorry, gnus does not count for me, although I am very much
>aware of its popularity among Emacs users, because probably it would be
>more efficient for me if I did not have to check or send e-mails and
>also spend less time on the internet).

I do not understand what you are saying there.  What it appears
to say doesn't make sense.  To put it mildly, Gnus is the most
efficient and effective Usenet *and* email user agent available.

If you currently deal with more than say a couple hundred emails
a day, moving to Gnus from just about anything else will result
in a significant time savings.  On the other hand, even if you
don't deal with that many emails...  use Gnus and you can then
go out and subscribe dozens of mailing lists, even if some of
them are of marginal value, just because it can be done
*without* putting you into an email bind that wastes your time.

--
Floyd L. Davidson           <http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson>
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                         floyd@barrow.com

* Re: Efficient Emacs usage?
@ 2004-11-22 18:58   ` FCC
From: FCC @ 2004-11-22 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Floyd L. Davidson articulated on 11/22/2004 7:47 PM:

>>(sorry, gnus does not count for me, although I am very much
>>aware of its popularity among Emacs users, because probably it would be
>>more efficient for me if I did not have to check or send e-mails and
>>also spend less time on the internet).
>>

>I do not understand what you are saying there.  What it appears
>to say doesn't make sense.  To put it mildly, Gnus is the most
>efficient and effective Usenet *and* email user agent available.
>
>If you currently deal with more than say a couple hundred emails
>a day, moving to Gnus from just about anything else will result
>in a significant time savings.  On the other hand, even if you
>don't deal with that many emails...  use Gnus and you can then
>go out and subscribe dozens of mailing lists, even if some of
>them are of marginal value, just because it can be done
>*without* putting you into an email bind that wastes your time.

I wanted to draw attention to the fact that most internet activity,
including processing of e-mails with their ever-increasing number is a
time sink, since I was talking about the efficiency.

--
FCC.

===

Of course I don't look busy... I did it right the first time.

-Anonymous

* Re: Efficient Emacs usage?
@ 2004-11-23  7:49 ` Lee Sau Dan
From: Lee Sau Dan @ 2004-11-23  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

    FCC> I am wondering if I am missing anything of Emacs that could
    FCC> be of great use to me

Yes, of course.  Check what M-/ does, and be warned that it is addictive!

Also, if you have ispell  installed and you're typing in text-mode (or
derived ones), you can M-Tab  to complete the word.  (And you'll start
to  hate   Windows,  which   gives  you  NO   WAY  to  stop   it  from
stealing/robbing this key binding.)

Have you tried w3?  I don't use  it, as it is really slow.  But I like
the way  in which I  can navigate the  page displayed.  This  is quite
cool when  filling in forms,  because all the editing  capabilities of
Emacs are there at your disposal.   (But the UI of Mozilla and Firefox
are approaching such 'friendliness'  recently.  E.g. starting a search
with "/".)

And if you edit text files (including C/C++/Java/whatever source code,
LaTeX  manuscripts,  etc.)   and  you aren't  using  version  control,
consider learning to use RCS or  CVS under Emacs.  I myself learnt RCS
first under  Emacs, well  before I got  familiar with the  RCS command
line.  (Emacs has made  it much easier to use RCS and  CVS than on the
command line.)  If you are developing programs, don't miss M-x compile
and M-x gdb or M-x perldb.

    FCC> (sorry, gnus does not count for me, although I am very much
    FCC> aware of its popularity among Emacs users,

I know a vi user who  likes to browse Usenet with Gnus+Emacs.  I don't
know why.   Maybe, Gnus's features are really  unparalleled.  I myself
am  both an Emacs  and vi  user, switching  easily between  them every
other minute.

--
Lee Sau Dan                     李守敦                          ~{@nJX6X~}

E-mail: danlee@informatik.uni-freiburg.de

* Re: Efficient Emacs usage?
@ 2004-11-23  7:55     ` Lee Sau Dan
From: Lee Sau Dan @ 2004-11-23  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

    FCC> I wanted to draw attention to the fact that most internet
    FCC> activity, including processing of e-mails with their
    FCC> ever-increasing number is a time sink, since I was talking
    FCC> about the efficiency.

Gnus has a very flexible "scoring system" and regex matching system to
sort mail  automatically.  This  means you can  match patterns  on the
mail headers  and -- based on  the matching results --  sort them into
different mail folders automatically.  So, spam mails go to the "spam"
folder.   Important  mails  (from  a  few e-mail  addresses  that  you
specify) go to  an "important" folder.  Mails from  colleagues goes to
the "company"  folder.  E-mails from  your family members goes  to the
"family"  folder, etc.   And you  can  of course  check the  important
folders first, deferring  the less important folders to  when you have
spare time.  Mails in the spam folder can be ignored and auto-expired.

So, using Gnus and customizing it properly help you save time.

--
Lee Sau Dan                     李守敦                          ~{@nJX6X~}

E-mail: danlee@informatik.uni-freiburg.de

* Re: Efficient Emacs usage?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-11-23 11:31 ` Marco Gidde
From: Marco Gidde @ 2004-11-23 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just in case: take some time and browse www.emacswiki.org. You will
find a lot of tips and tricks for almost anything concerning Emacs.

--
Marco Gidde

* Re: Efficient Emacs usage?
@ 2004-11-23 12:20       ` FCC
From: FCC @ 2004-11-23 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lee Sau Dan articulated on 11/23/2004 8:55 AM:

>Gnus has a very flexible "scoring system" and regex matching system to
>sort mail  automatically.  This  means you can  match patterns  on the
>mail headers  and -- based on  the matching results --  sort them into
>different mail folders automatically.  So, spam mails go to the "spam"
>folder.   Important  mails  (from  a  few e-mail  addresses  that  you
>specify) go to  an "important" folder.  Mails from  colleagues goes to
>the "company"  folder.  E-mails from  your family members goes  to the
>"family"  folder, etc.   And you  can  of course  check the  important
>folders first, deferring  the less important folders to  when you have
>spare time.  Mails in the spam folder can be ignored and auto-expired.
>

>So, using Gnus and customizing it properly help you save time.

OK, you have changed my mind, Gnus will help save time. I have a working
Gnus setup in my _emacs, but sending mail using smtp with authentication
never actually worked with this server, and I had to abondon it finally.
Now I am using Thunderbird.

--
FCC.

===
<laugh> If only the innocents knew...:)
-Anonymous

* Re: Efficient Emacs usage?
@ 2004-11-23 12:34   ` FCC
From: FCC @ 2004-11-23 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lee Sau Dan articulated on 11/23/2004 8:49 AM:

>Yes, of course.  Check what M-/ does, and be warned that it is addictive!

Dynamically expand abbreviation. I use it only occasionally.

>Also, if you have ispell  installed and you're typing in text-mode (or
>derived ones), you can M-Tab  to complete the word.  (And you'll start to  hate   Windows,  which   gives  you  NO   WAY  to  stop   it  from stealing/robbing this key binding.)

I did not know about this, sounds really cool. I will try it. My
feelings toward Windows has never been very positive, especially
suffering the ordeal of typing up a descent MS thesis under MS Word in
1995. But like many people I come from a DOS background, and I have met
Unix much later in my university life, and I was never able to own one
(unfortunately). Finally there is Linux, but with no descent debugger!
Let us face it, MS Visual C/C++/Fortran IDE has a fabulous debugger that
is graphical... Anyway, the first thing I did when I got this computer
is to get it to boot both WinXP and linux-kernel-2.4.23-xfs-acpi.

>And if you edit text files (including C/C++/Java/whatever source code,
>LaTeX  manuscripts,  etc.)   and  you aren't  using  version  control,
>consider learning to use RCS or  CVS under Emacs.  I myself learnt RCS
>first under  Emacs, well  before I got  familiar with the  RCS command
>line.  (Emacs has made  it much easier to use RCS and  CVS than on the
>command line.)  If you are developing programs, don't miss M-x compile
>and M-x gdb or M-x perldb.

I agree that PCL-CVS is indispensible for software development, and I
actively use it. Good point here, thanks.

--
FCC.
===

If I don't enforce it, who will know good from evil?

-Anonymous

* Re: Efficient Emacs usage?
@ 2004-11-23 18:21     ` Micha Feigin
                       ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Micha Feigin @ 2004-11-23 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

At Tue, 23 Nov 2004 13:34:18 +0100,
FCC wrote:

> Lee Sau Dan articulated on 11/23/2004 8:49 AM:
>

> >Yes, of course.  Check what M-/ does, and be warned that it is addictive!
> >

> Dynamically expand abbreviation. I use it only occasionally.
>
> >Also, if you have ispell  installed and you're typing in text-mode (or
> >derived ones), you can M-Tab  to complete the word.  (And you'll start to
> >hate   Windows,  which   gives  you  NO   WAY  to  stop   it  from
> >stealing/robbing this key binding.)

And you can use flyspell-mode to check spelling interactively.

I prefer aspell though, seems to give a more complete word completion list
(sometimes too complete though, flows off my screen).

> I did not know about this, sounds really cool. I will try it. My
> feelings toward Windows has never been very positive, especially
> suffering the ordeal of typing up a descent MS thesis under MS Word in
> 1995. But like many people I come from a DOS background, and I have met
> Unix much later in my university life, and I was never able to own one
> (unfortunately). Finally there is Linux, but with no descent debugger!
> Let us face it, MS Visual C/C++/Fortran IDE has a fabulous debugger that
> is graphical... Anyway, the first thing I did when I got this computer
> is to get it to boot both WinXP and linux-kernel-2.4.23-xfs-acpi.

gdb is more powerful then anything MS Visual can spit my way. It does take some
time to get used to.

My favorite GUI for it is insight, although ddd is also ok. Never managed to
get emacs to work nicely with gdb, keeps choosing the wrong windows or ignoring
to code window for setting breakpoints.

Never tried kdevelop and anjuta, but I believe that they also have nice
interfaces to gdb (I prefer to use emacs as an IDE personally, only thing I am
missing is a project based approach to development, such as project class view
in ECB and project file view).

And if I mentioned it, don't miss out on ECB.

> >And if you edit text files (including C/C++/Java/whatever source code,
> >LaTeX  manuscripts,  etc.)   and  you aren't  using  version  control,
> >consider learning to use RCS or  CVS under Emacs.  I myself learnt RCS
> >first under  Emacs, well  before I got  familiar with the  RCS command
> >line.  (Emacs has made  it much easier to use RCS and  CVS than on the
> >command line.)  If you are developing programs, don't miss M-x compile
> >and M-x gdb or M-x perldb.
> >

> I agree that PCL-CVS is indispensible for software development, and I
> actively use it. Good point here, thanks.
>
> --
> FCC.
> ===
>
> If I don't enforce it, who will know good from evil?
>
> -Anonymous

>  at the Tel-Aviv University CC.

* Re: Efficient Emacs usage?
@ 2004-11-23 20:48     ` Eli Zaretskii
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-11-23 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: FCC <fcc509@netscape.net>
> Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 13:34:18 +0100
>
> Finally there is Linux, but with no descent debugger!  Let us face
> it, MS Visual C/C++/Fortran IDE has a fabulous debugger that is
> graphical...

What's wrong with the Insight front-end to GDB?  Or (since we are
talking about Emacs) the latest gdb-ui interface that is part of the
CVS Emacs code, for that matter?

* Re: Efficient Emacs usage?
@ 2004-11-24  3:30     ` Lee Sau Dan
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1043.1101236972.27204.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1072.1101243703.27204.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lee Sau Dan @ 2004-11-24  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

    FCC> I did not know about this, sounds really cool. I will try
    FCC> it. My feelings toward Windows has never been very positive,
    FCC> especially suffering the ordeal of typing up a descent MS
    FCC> thesis under MS Word in 1995.

I did my final  year project report in the same year,  and I did it in
LaTeX.  I think I was the only one in the class to use LaTeX.  Another
classmate knew LaTeX  and could use it, but chose  to write his report
in  Word (6.0).   He regretted!   Crashes, loss  of  data, bad-looking
output.

That was  the first time I  use LaTeX seriously.  Before  that, I used
Word 6.0, and was  complaining all the time why it is  so slow and the
output is  so bad.  Add that to  the occasional (not as  frequent as I
see in Win95 and later) GPF of Win 3.1.  Once I've got Linux installed
(I could  already use LaTeX on  SUN workstations then),  I switched to
LaTeX completely.  No need to look back.  (I did like Word Perfect 5.1
on  DOS.  But  Word Perfect  6.0 started  to get  a  bloated interface
similar to  MS Word.  So, I  gave it up  and switched to Word  6.0, so
that I could share files with classmates.)

    FCC> But like many people I come from a DOS background, and I
    FCC> have met Unix much later in my university life,

Being a  computer science major,  I got my  first unix account  in the
first  year of  university.  (The  computer centre  also  offered unix
accounts to all students and staff.   So, I got 2 unix accounts when I
entered the university!)

    FCC> and I was never able to own one (unfortunately).

I also  thought I couldn't, until  I learnt about Linux  in late 1993.
In summer  1994, after  all exams,  I spared the  money to  upgrade my
486's RAM from 4MB to 16MB and bought an additional harddisk.  Then, I
installed Slackware.  I was so happy to be able to have unix on my own
PC!   (I did  have Minix  installed for  the OS  course, but  Minix is
really mini.  Like a kids version of an OS.)

    FCC> Finally there is Linux, but with no descent debugger!  Let us
    FCC> face it, MS Visual C/C++/Fortran IDE has a fabulous debugger
    FCC> that is graphical...

Emacs is a much better IDE.  And I can read my mails in it.

    FCC> I agree that PCL-CVS is indispensible for software
    FCC> development, and I actively use it. Good point here, thanks.

For users of subversion, there  is an equivalent package that provides
a similar interface.   (svn has a (CLI) user  interface quite close to
CVS already.)  Not bundled with Emacs, but works great!

--

@ 2004-11-24  3:33       ` Lee Sau Dan
From: Lee Sau Dan @ 2004-11-24  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Micha> And you can use flyspell-mode to check spelling
    Micha> interactively.

I've tried it  and I hate it.  It's too  _distracting_.  I can't write
with such a distracting feature.

    Micha> gdb is more powerful then anything MS Visual can spit my
    Micha> way. It does take some time to get used to.

And you  can use Emacs  as a gdb  frontend.  It's quite cool.   I have
never used  gdb outside  Emacs for many  many years.  Just  can't live
with  the  raw  gdb interface.   The  Emacs  frontend  is such  a  big
enhancement.

--

@ 2004-11-24  3:44         ` Lee Sau Dan
From: Lee Sau Dan @ 2004-11-24  3:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

    FCC> OK, you have changed my mind, Gnus will help save time. I
    FCC> have a working Gnus setup in my _emacs, but sending mail
    FCC> using smtp with authentication never actually worked with
    FCC> this server, and I had to abondon it finally.  Now I am using
    FCC> Thunderbird.

I've  got smtps  (smtp +  ssl) working  here.  Dunno  what  "smtp with
authentication" is about.  But I'd find  it hard to believe that it is
not  done  yet,   if  it  is  based  on   *open*  protocols.   If  the
authentication extension  is specified in an RFC,  then someone should
have implemented it for message-mode.

--

@ 2004-11-24  7:55   ` John Paul Wallington
From: John Paul Wallington @ 2004-11-24  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lee Sau Dan <danlee@informatik.uni-freiburg.de> writes:

> Also, if you have ispell  installed and you're typing in text-mode (or
> derived ones), you can M-Tab  to complete the word.  (And you'll start
> to  hate   Windows,  which   gives  you  NO   WAY  to  stop   it  from
> stealing/robbing this key binding.)

Try:
(w32-register-hot-key [A-tab])
for NT/2000/XP systems.

Otherwise, for W95/98/ME systems, you could investigate writing a
wrapper program that just calls Windows' SystemParametersInfo
(SPI_SETSCREENSAVERRUNNING).

* Re: Efficient Emacs usage?
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1072.1101243703.27204.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-11-24  8:59       ` FCC
From: FCC @ 2004-11-24  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Zaretskii articulated on 11/23/2004 9:48 PM:

>What's wrong with the Insight front-end to GDB?  Or (since we are
>talking about Emacs) the latest gdb-ui interface that is part of the
>CVS Emacs code, for that matter?

Well, I have struggled to get gdb working using Intel Fortran95 compiler
(ifort) using Emacs 21.3.50.1, but the idb.el they supplied did not
work, apparently it works only under 21.3.1. On WinXP, I have several
Fortran compilers: Digital Visual Fortran, Intel Fortran, Salford
Fortran, and soon I will install the g95 from GNU. I could not get *any*
of them working with gdb in the first place.

I was able to use with only partial success ddd in debugging Intel
Fortran executables under Linux. Frequently it would complain about
address problems, and soon it would crash.

It is really frustrating to struggle to use debugger while you really
need to find out what is wrong with your code (and of course, what is
wrong with your knowledge of the theory behind your code).

Thanks for responding anyway,

--
FCC.

===
Help.  I'm trapped at 0D1C:01DA.
-Anonymous

* Re: Efficient Emacs usage?
@ 2004-11-24  9:04         ` Brian Elmegaard
From: Brian Elmegaard @ 2004-11-24  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

FCC <fcc509@netscape.net> writes:

> Fortran, and soon I will install the g95 from GNU. I could not get *any*
> of them working with gdb in the first place.

I have had no problems with mingw-gcc running g77 in gdb.
Maybe you could try this first?

--
Brian (remove the sport for mail)
http://www.et.dtu.dk/staff/be/be.html

* Re: Efficient Emacs usage?
@ 2004-11-24 12:11         ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2004-11-24 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Micha> And you can use flyspell-mode to check spelling
  Micha> interactively.

  Lee> I've tried it and I hate it.  It's too _distracting_.  I can't
  Lee> write with such a distracting feature.

Distracting? From someone who uses fully justified text with fixed
width fonts?

Phil

* Re: Efficient Emacs usage?
@ 2004-11-24 15:39           ` FCC
From: FCC @ 2004-11-24 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brian Elmegaard articulated on 11/24/2004 10:04 AM:

>I have had no problems with mingw-gcc running g77 in gdb.
>Maybe you could try this first?

However, g77 supports only Fortran 77, whereas I primarily code Fortran
95 (which is not much different than C, only superior, unlike what most
people think when they first hear the word ``Fortran". But hey, I am not
a fan, so I accept that it is not for computer scientists since you
cannot write operating system level functions in it, but it is
definitely for all other type of scientists or engineers who try to
solve physical problems). May be g95 or gfortran will solve my problem;
assuming gdb works well with at least one of them, I could debug with
it, and then finally compile using the compiler which produces the
fastest executables and perform the calculations with that executable.

Thanks for answering,

--
FCC.

===
There are some things which cannot be learned quickly, and time, which
is all we have, must be paid heavily for their acquiring. They are the
very simplest things, and because it takes a man's life to know them the
little new that each man gets from life is very costly and the only
heritage he has to leave.
-Ernest Hemingway.

* Re: Efficient Emacs usage?
@ 2004-11-25 17:02           ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2004-11-25 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Phillip Lord <p.lord@russet.org.uk> writes:

>   Micha> And you can use flyspell-mode to check spelling
>   Micha> interactively.
>
>   Lee> I've tried it and I hate it.  It's too _distracting_.  I can't
>   Lee> write with such a distracting feature.
>

> Distracting? From someone who uses fully justified text with fixed
> width fonts?

Different people find different things distracting.

/Mathias

* Re: Efficient Emacs usage?
@ 2004-11-25 17:23             ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2004-11-25 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Mathias> Phillip Lord <p.lord@russet.org.uk> writes:

  Micha> And you can use flyspell-mode to check spelling
  Micha> interactively.
  >>
  Lee> I've tried it and I hate it.  It's too _distracting_.  I can't
  Lee> write with such a distracting feature.
  >>

  >> Distracting? From someone who uses fully justified text with
  >> fixed width fonts?

  Mathias> Different people find different things distracting.

True. Justified text is, however, the work of the devil. It's makes
normal variable width text harder to read, although it does look nicer
on page. With fixed width fonts, you don't even get that advantage.

Cheers

Phi

* Re: Efficient Emacs usage?
@ 2004-11-26  7:44               ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2004-11-26  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Phillip Lord <p.lord@cs.man.ac.uk> writes:

>   Lee> I've tried it and I hate it.  It's too
>   Lee> _distracting_.  I can't write with such a
>   Lee> distracting feature.
>   >>
>   >>
>   >> Distracting? From someone who uses fully justified
>   >> text with fixed width fonts?
>
>   Mathias> Different people find different things
>   Mathias> distracting.
>

> True. Justified text is, however, the work of the
> devil. It's makes normal variable width text harder to
> read, although it does look nicer on page. With fixed
> width fonts, you don't even get that advantage.

I agree and think is is ugly, or at least hard to read. It
is a cool feature in Emacs when you do need it though, but
lucky for us it is not the default filling style.

/Mathias

* Re: Efficient Emacs usage?
@ 2004-12-01 18:30   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-12-01 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lee Sau Dan wrote:
> Have you tried w3?  I don't use  it, as it is really slow.  But I like
> the way  in which I  can navigate the  page displayed.  This  is quite
> cool when  filling in forms,  because all the editing  capabilities of
> Emacs are there at your disposal.

emacs-w3m (i.e. W3M + Emacs) is much better:

http://emacs-w3m.namazu.org/