all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Korrekte wyse om "tab width" te stel?
@ 2004-11-13 14:15 Jens Thiede
       [not found] ` <mailman.2629.1100435915.8225.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jens Thiede @ 2004-11-13 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wat sou die beste manier wees om "tab" se brute te stel na 4 spasies?

Groete,

Jens.

P.S.
Ek skryf in Afrikaans (alhoewel daar niks vout is met my Engels nie) en
wonder of ek daarmee kan wegkom (Dalk is daar Nederlanders hier?),
sedert ek gesien het dat mense selfs in Japannees skryf.

* Re: Korrekte wyse om "tab width" te stel?
@ 2004-11-14 12:28 ` Kai Grossjohann
       [not found] ` <mailman.2629.1100435915.8225.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-11-14 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jens Thiede <jens.news@webgear.co.za> writes:

> Wat sou die beste manier wees om "tab" se brute te stel na 4 spasies?

Perhaps it is easiest to hit M-i?  That should be pretty close to what
you want, except that it goes to a multiple of 8 spaces instead of 4.
But you can change the variable tab-stop-list:

(setq tab-stop-list '(4 8 12 ...))

Please expand the "..." appropriately.  I'm too lazy to do the
arithmetic myself ;-)

But I don't recommend to rely on this.  Emacs supports syntax-driven
indentation which can often be configured to your liking for the
language you're working in.  Syntax-driven indentation is really
useful for catching silly syntax errors such as a missing closing
brace.

> P.S.
> Ek skryf in Afrikaans (alhoewel daar niks vout is met my Engels nie) en
> wonder of ek daarmee kan wegkom (Dalk is daar Nederlanders hier?),
> sedert ek gesien het dat mense selfs in Japannees skryf.

I'm not sure if I understand the above paragraph, but I'm trying.

But I haven't seen many Japanese postings, except for Spam perhaps.

Kai

* Re: Korrekte wyse om "tab width" te stel?
@ 2004-11-14 17:35 Joe Corneli
From: Joe Corneli @ 2004-11-14 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

C-h tab-width RET

tab-width's value is 8
Automatically becomes buffer-local when set in any fashion.

*Distance between tab stops (for display of tab characters), in columns.

You can customize this variable.
        ^^^^^^^^^

Or (setq tab-width 4) in your .emacs file.

@ 2004-11-15 13:04   ` Jens Thiede
From: Jens Thiede @ 2004-11-15 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks. I added the following line to my .emacs file:

(setq-default tab-width 4)

Kai Grossjohann wrote:
> Jens Thiede <jens.news@webgear.co.za> writes:
>

>>Wat sou die beste manier wees om "tab" se brute te stel na 4 spasies?
>

> Perhaps it is easiest to hit M-i?  That should be pretty close to what
> you want, except that it goes to a multiple of 8 spaces instead of 4.
> But you can change the variable tab-stop-list:
>
> (setq tab-stop-list '(4 8 12 ...))
>
> Please expand the "..." appropriately.  I'm too lazy to do the
> arithmetic myself ;-)
>
> But I don't recommend to rely on this.  Emacs supports syntax-driven
> indentation which can often be configured to your liking for the
> language you're working in.  Syntax-driven indentation is really
> useful for catching silly syntax errors such as a missing closing
> brace.
>

>>P.S.
>>Ek skryf in Afrikaans (alhoewel daar niks vout is met my Engels nie) en
>>wonder of ek daarmee kan wegkom (Dalk is daar Nederlanders hier?),
>>sedert ek gesien het dat mense selfs in Japannees skryf.

Herzlichen dank für Diene Antwort. Ich sachte im letzten Satz das Ich
sehen wollte op Ich eine Antwort bekommen würde of Afrikaans oder op
Jemand es sonst lesbar finden würde.

Yes, the above paragraph is in German and I'm not going to waste time
translating it.