all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* mysterious (encoding?) problem
@ 2004-11-09 23:44 guanxi
From: guanxi @ 2004-11-09 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

I hope someone can solve this mystery.  I suspect I'm hitting an odd key
combination, but can't figure it out.

Occasionally, maybe every other day, I run into this odd problem:

No matter what letter I type, lower or uppercase, Emacs inserts a
question mark "?".  My hex editor and other text editors shows them as
question marks, so it isn't a display issue.

Other programs work fine.  Exiting that instance of Emacs (even leaving
other instances open) and loading a new instance with the same file
fixes the problem.

More mysterious details:

   * The numbers, 1-0, come out as, in order:
!??§%:.;,/

   * Shift+[1-0] outputs the numbers themselves:
1234567890

   * M-f is interpreted as C-M-f (which my Windows hotkey to start Firefox).

   * M-> (end of buffer) is ignored -- nothing happens.

   * Most standard C- commands work.  So while typing "n" outputs "?",
typing C-n navigates normally.

   * IIRCC, with multiple instances of Emacs open, only one is typically
affected.  The other instances work fine.

   * Brief experience with the minibuffer suggests it behaves the same.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.  It's not the end of the
world, but it's annoying.

guanxi

only message in thread, other threads:[~2004-11-09 23:44 UTC | newest]