all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Making a nice .emacs file and configuration
@ 2004-09-21 14:30 Alexandre Russel
From: Alexandre Russel @ 2004-09-21 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw

Hi all,
I have been using Emacs for a while now and my .emacs file start
getting to big. I am trying to find a set up so even in few years
with lots more things in it it would stay clean. Would like advice
from Emacs veteran on how to set up all that. What I am thinking
about doing is:

---.emacs--start--
(setq load-path
  (cons "~/Emacs/Configurations"
    (cons "~/Emacs/Extensions"
      (cons "~/Emacs/DotEmacs" load-path))))
(setq Info-default-directory-list (cons "~/Emacs/Info" Info-default-directory-list))
---.emacs--end----

Then have a Emacs directory with 4 directories inside:

Info: with all the Info from the package I added
DotEmacs: with the information found usually in .emacs such as binding,configuration, macro, myfunction(probably with 1 file per thing)
Extensions: All the package I download(template, w3m-emacs...)
Configurations: All the configuration file for the extensions

What do you think of it and what should I change so even in few
years I wouldn't have to redo everything again.
Cheers,
Alex

* Re: Making a nice .emacs file and configuration
@ 2004-09-22 10:40 ` emacs Fan
From: emacs Fan @ 2004-09-22 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw

Hi, Alex,

> What do you think of it and what should I change so even in few
> years I wouldn't have to redo everything again.

I would like to answer you this question in a few year:)

In fact, I think your configuration is really good, I got benifit from
your configuration.

--
emacs Fan

* Re: Making a nice .emacs file and configuration
@ 2004-09-23 23:16 ` oliver
From: oliver @ 2004-09-23 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw

"Alexandre Russel" <scandrou@hpo.net> wrote in message
> I am trying to find a set up so even in few years
> with lots more things in it it would stay clean. Would like advice
> from Emacs veteran on how to set up all that. What I am thinking
> about doing is:
>
> ---.emacs--start--
> (setq load-path
>  (cons "~/Emacs/Configurations"
>    (cons "~/Emacs/Extensions"
>      (cons "~/Emacs/DotEmacs" load-path))))
> (setq Info-default-directory-list (cons "~/Emacs/Info"
> Info-default-directory-list))
> ---.emacs--end----
>
> Then have a Emacs directory with 4 directories inside:
>
> Info: with all the Info from the package I added
> DotEmacs: with the information found usually in .emacs such as
> binding,configuration, macro, myfunction(probably with 1 file per thing)
> Extensions: All the package I download(template, w3m-emacs...)
> Configurations: All the configuration file for the extensions

set up sounds good. however you need to name explicitly the files you want
to load on startup. including the direcory where the reside isn't enough.

another problem are auto changes emacs itself does to the .emacs file, e.g.
when emacs enables disabled commands: so the .emacs file won't stay as clean
as you want. at least the custumize-settings can be sourced out. read the
emacs docu about the var custom-file.

cheers, oliver