all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* select large text with mouse
@ 2008-06-08  1:26 imputerate
       [not found] ` <mailman.12913.1212952149.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: imputerate @ 2008-06-08  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

ubuntu [hardy]
 emacs: 22.1-0ubuntu10
   gnus: 5.11+v0.5.dfsg
slackware [12.0]
 emacs: 22.2-i486-1

i can't get my logitech wheelmouse to select any more text from an
emacs
buffer [in xterm/konsole] than appears on the screen at one time;

when the mouse button is pressed, neither down-arrow, page-down, nor
scroll down will give the mouse access to text below the screen;

i know that i can
 1/ select the entire buffer with 'mark-whole-buffer' and then
 2/ 'append-to-file', and then
 3/ 'insert-file'

when i'm moving among files on one machine;

        [now that i think of it, didn't i used to be able to mark text
in one emacs session and paste it into another session, say in another
xterm? i can't now;]

AND, i can set up an ssh/screen/emacs buffer for copying and pasting
which shows up on two machines at once;

BUT, because i'm limited to selecting only one screen at a time, this
often entails scp'ing an "inserted" file from one machine to another
[too much trouble];

so, is there a way to let the mouse select more than a screen at a
time
from an emacs buffer?

thanks, imputerate

* Re: Xterm and Readline (was: select large text with mouse)
@ 2008-06-14  5:43 imputerate
From: imputerate @ 2008-06-14  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jun 14, 12:39 am, imputerate <imputer...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > imputerate promised to:

> > joel replied:
>
> > > X resources are not the only way to configure the Emacs display,
> > > although they are the best I've found for setting the default face and
> > > background.  Same goes in xterm: it's much better than putting "-fg
> > > white -bg black -geometry..." in every desktop icon or making it an
> > > alias.
> > imputerate writes:
>
> > yes; i think so too; i have only face and background for xterm and
> > emacs in .Xresources, but i wonder if .Xdefaults is also sourced by
> > some of xterm/bash, anyway for root.
>
> > can someone direct me to a discussion of the priorities which obtain
> > among all these config files; for, example, i understand from several
> > posts here and there that .Xresources preempts .emacs; thanks,
> > imputerate
>
> update from imputerate:
>  i just set, in .Xresources, a distinctive face for both emacs and
> xterm. the face showed up in emacs, buy NOT in the xterm/bash window;
> does that say something about who's telling  whom what to do? imp.

OUCH!  sorry; i was wrong. the changes DID show up in a new xterm/bash
window; does that mean i should have a "resource" line in
my .Xresources file? imp[ortunate].