all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Merging a local info file with the system's
@ 2009-02-10  9:49 Iain Dalton
From: Iain Dalton @ 2009-02-10  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Texinfo manual Sec. 21.2.3 says you can add extra info directories to
Info-directory-list and it will merge all the `dir' files it finds.  I
created ~/.emacs.d/info/, added info files, and made this `dir' file:

    Programming
    * ANSI Common Lisp: (ansicl).		Draft ANSI Common Lisp standard

Instead of merging the dir files, "C-h i" only shows this minimal one.
What am I doing wrong?

* Re: Merging a local info file with the system's
       [not found] <mailman.323.1234280876.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-02-10 16:12 ` Teemu Likonen
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2009-02-10 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Iain Dalton; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 2009-02-10 02:49 (-0700), Iain Dalton wrote:

> Texinfo manual Sec. 21.2.3 says you can add extra info directories to
> Info-directory-list and it will merge all the `dir' files it finds. I
> created ~/.emacs.d/info/, added info files, and made this `dir' file:
>
>     Programming
>     * ANSI Common Lisp: (ansicl).		Draft ANSI Common Lisp standard
>
> Instead of merging the dir files, "C-h i" only shows this minimal one.
> What am I doing wrong?

I have forgot the theory about how things work but I'll show you what
works in my system. I have this line in my ~/.emacs file:

    (add-to-list 'Info-default-directory-list "~/.emacs.d/info/")

And I have a Makefile (see below) for converting .texi files to .info
files and creating "dir" file. If you want to use it put it in your
~/.emacs.d/info/ directory and run "make". First it converts .texi files
(if any) to .info files and then creates a "dir" file from all .info
that are available. Just run "make" if you want to update. Command "make
clean" will delete the "dir" file and all .info files which have the
corresponding .texi file available.

# Makefile
INFO := $(patsubst %.texi,%.info,$(wildcard *.texi))

dir: $(INFO) $(wildcard *.info)
	for file in $?; do \
		ginstall-info $$file $@; done

%.info: %.texi
	makeinfo --output=$@ -- $<

clean:
	rm -f -- dir $(INFO)

.PHONY: clean

* Re: Merging a local info file with the system's
@ 2009-02-10 17:19   ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-02-10 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Teemu Likonen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 10.02.2009 um 17:12 schrieb Teemu Likonen:

>>     Programming
>>     * ANSI Common Lisp: (ansicl).		Draft ANSI Common Lisp standard
>>
>> Instead of merging the dir files, "C-h i" only shows this minimal
>> one.
>> What am I doing wrong?

The optional section name, the title entry, and its description are
installed via '(sudo) install-info.'

--
Greetings

   Pete

Competition is the great erode of profits.