all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Considering Using Org Mode, But Question First: Recurring To-Do's and Custom Agenda Views
@ 2009-12-05  4:56 Nocebic Meme
From: Nocebic Meme @ 2009-12-05  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm thinking of moving my organizational system needs over into org
mode, but I have a question first.

Let say I have a recurring to-do, such as 'daily exercise'

In org mode right now it would look like this:

* TODO daily exercise  :offline:
   DEADLINE: <2009-12-03 Thu .+1d>

But here's the problem: if I pull up an agenda view with my deadlines
for this week, daily exercise shows up every day.  Ideally, I'd like
to only see TODO items that I can actually do something about right
now.  While I can start work on a presentation that's due tomorrow, I
can't start tomorrow's exercise today, so I don't want to see it.

Is this something org mode can overcome?

* Considering Using Org Mode, But Question First: Recurring To-Do's and Custom Agenda Views
@ 2009-12-05 15:55 Steve Revilak
From: Steve Revilak @ 2009-12-05 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

From: Nocebic Meme <nocebicmeme@gmail.com>

> I'm thinking of moving my organizational system needs over into org
> mode, but I have a question first.
>
> Let say I have a recurring to-do, such as 'daily exercise'
>
> In org mode right now it would look like this:
>
> * TODO daily exercise  :offline:
>    DEADLINE: <2009-12-03 Thu .+1d>

Try treating `daily exercise' as a recurring event (as opposed to a
recurring TODO with a deadline).  Like this:

* daily exercise  :offline:
   <2009-12-03 Thu 07:00 +1d>

org-mode has different semantics for SCHEDULED, DEADLINE, and plain
active timestamps.  For a recurring event, you'll generally want to
use plain timestamps [1].  (Also, as a TODO, when would you mark it
`DONE'? :)

Steve

[1] http://orgmode.org/manual/Deadlines-and-scheduling.html#Deadlines-and-scheduling