all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How force command's output to appear in *current* window?
@ 2008-12-13  1:21 seberino
From: seberino @ 2008-12-13  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

run-python and some other commands want to show output in a new
window.

How force it to appear in current window?

Chris

* Re: How force command's output to appear in *current* window?
@ 2008-12-13  3:07 ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2008-12-13  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article
<aa1f36d3-bf5a-4717-b401-f25b6587f817@i20g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
 "seberino@spawar.navy.mil" <seberino@spawar.navy.mil> wrote:

> run-python and some other commands want to show output in a new
> window.
>
> How force it to appear in current window?
>
> Chris

You can run the run-python function with the noshow parameter set to t,
and then change to the *Python* buffer in the current window.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

* Re: How force command's output to appear in *current* window?
@ 2008-12-13 18:31   ` seberino
From: seberino @ 2008-12-13 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Dec 12, 7:07 pm, Barry Margolin <bar...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> You can run the run-python function with the noshow parameter set to t,
> and then change to the *Python* buffer in the current window.

Thanks.  That *Worked* because run-python had a noshow parameter.

What about something like python-send-region-and-go that does NOT have
a noshow param?

@ 2008-12-14  6:35     ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2008-12-14  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article
<cdac4a66-e8fe-4b8a-a064-e6dedb2338dd@w1g2000prm.googlegroups.com>,
 "seberino@spawar.navy.mil" <seberino@spawar.navy.mil> wrote:

> On Dec 12, 7:07 pm, Barry Margolin <bar...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> > You can run the run-python function with the noshow parameter set to t,
> > and then change to the *Python* buffer in the current window.
>
> Thanks.  That *Worked* because run-python had a noshow parameter.
>
> What about something like python-send-region-and-go that does NOT have
> a noshow param?
>
> Chris

Call it within save-window-excursion.

--

@ 2008-12-14 22:28       ` seberino
From: seberino @ 2008-12-14 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Dec 13, 10:35 pm, Barry Margolin <bar...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> Call it within save-window-excursion.

Thanks! Does this work for all commands?  I couldn't get it to work
for compile.

I tried

(save-window-excursion 'compile)
(save-window-excursion compile)
(save-window-excursion (compile))

They all either gave an error or nothing happened.

cs

* Re: How force command's output to appear in *current* window?
@ 2008-12-15  2:44         ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2008-12-15  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article
<fe2cd046-812c-42ed-ad29-4d5b974c45e7@b41g2000pra.googlegroups.com>,
 "seberino@spawar.navy.mil" <seberino@spawar.navy.mil> wrote:

> On Dec 13, 10:35 pm, Barry Margolin <bar...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> > Call it within save-window-excursion.
>
> Thanks! Does this work for all commands?  I couldn't get it to work
> for compile.
>
> I tried
>
> (save-window-excursion 'compile)
> (save-window-excursion compile)
> (save-window-excursion (compile))
>
> They all either gave an error or nothing happened.
>
> cs

You left out the argument to compile.

(save-window-excursion
  (compile compile-command))

will compile with the default compilation command.

--

@ 2008-12-15  6:34           ` seberino
From: seberino @ 2008-12-15  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Dec 14, 6:44 pm, Barry Margolin <bar...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> In article
> <fe2cd046-812c-42ed-ad29-4d5b974c4...@b41g2000pra.googlegroups.com>,
>

>  "seber...@spawar.navy.mil" <seber...@spawar.navy.mil> wrote:
> > On Dec 13, 10:35 pm, Barry Margolin <bar...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> > > Call it within save-window-excursion.
>
> > Thanks! Does this work for all commands?  I couldn't get it to work
> > for compile.
>
> > I tried
>
> > (save-window-excursion 'compile)
> > (save-window-excursion compile)
> > (save-window-excursion (compile))
>
> > They all either gave an error or nothing happened.
>
> > cs
>
> You left out the argument to compile.
>
> (save-window-excursion
>   (compile compile-command))
>
> will compile with the default compilation command.

Thanks.  That worked.

cs