all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* keyboard macro question
@ 2009-10-02 14:05 Benjamin
From: Benjamin @ 2009-10-02 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I use keyboard macros fairly frequently, but I often run into a
situation where I would like to increment a number in the macro, e.g.,
if I start with:

tmp tmp tmp tmp

and I want to end with:
tmp1
tmp2
tmp3
tmp4

I know how to create the macro where it would result in:
tmp1
tmp1
tmp1
tmp1

Is there a way to make the number increment each time the macro is
executed?
Otherwise I am forced to step down through each line and manually put
the numbers in 1, 2, 3, 4, ...
Naturally this is a greatly shortened example for illustration
purposes, and often the incrementing takes place within a longer
statement e.g.,  tmp(:,1) = function(x,y).  My interest here is how to
increment or decrement the number in a more automatic fashion.

I don't mind doing something other than macros, or even external
commands (perl/sed/awk, etc.)
to assist with this.

Thanks,
-Ben

* Re: keyboard macro question
@ 2009-10-02 14:15 ` Joost Kremers
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Joost Kremers @ 2009-10-02 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Benjamin wrote:
> I use keyboard macros fairly frequently, but I often run into a
> situation where I would like to increment a number in the macro, e.g.,

you might start by checking out the documentation on keyboard macros:

(info "(emacs) Keyboard Macros")

--
Joost Kremers                                      joostkremers@yahoo.com
EN:SiS(9)

* Re: keyboard macro question
@ 2009-10-02 14:34 ` David Kastrup
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: David Kastrup @ 2009-10-02 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Benjamin <jbenjam@gmail.com> writes:

> I use keyboard macros fairly frequently, but I often run into a
> situation where I would like to increment a number in the macro, e.g.,
> if I start with:
>
> tmp tmp tmp tmp
>
> and I want to end with:
> tmp1
> tmp2
> tmp3
> tmp4
>
> I don't mind doing something other than macros, or even external
> commands (perl/sed/awk, etc.)
> to assist with this.

C-M-% tmp SPC RET tmp\,(1+ \#) C-q C-j RET

--
David Kastrup

* Re: keyboard macro question
@ 2009-10-02 14:50 ` Colin S. Miller
       [not found] ` <d9407676-bb83-46a4-9804-0450cc190b59@v37g2000prg.googlegroups.com>
From: Colin S. Miller @ 2009-10-02 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Benjamin wrote:
> I use keyboard macros fairly frequently, but I often run into a
> situation where I would like to increment a number in the macro, e.g.,
> if I start with:
>
> tmp tmp tmp tmp
>
> and I want to end with:
> tmp1
> tmp2
> tmp3
> tmp4

Benjamin,
These functions are useful for this situation
C-u 1 C-x r n a   (number-to-register a)
C-x r i a         (insert-register a)
C-x r + a         (increment-register a)

HTH,
Colin S. Miller

* Re: keyboard macro question
@ 2009-10-02 14:54   ` jbenjam
From: jbenjam @ 2009-10-02 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct 2, 10:34 am, David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org> wrote:

> C-M-% tmp SPC RET tmp\,(1+ \#) C-q C-j RET

Thanks David, I knew it was something relatively simple.

Happy Friday,
-Ben

* Re: keyboard macro question
@ 2009-10-02 18:12   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2009-10-02 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Colin S. Miller" <no-spam-thank-you@csmiller.demon.co.uk> writes:

> Benjamin,
> These functions are useful for this situation
> C-u 1 C-x r n a   (number-to-register a)
> C-x r i a         (insert-register a)
> C-x r + a         (increment-register a)

I wondered if you could show an example of how this works in a
macro... when I try, it just continues to insert 1.

To reproduce:
Create macro of:
 C-u 1 C-x r n a
 C-x r i a
 C-x r + a

then walk down this column inserting the macro

str
str
str
str

By running the macro at the end of each line, I get:

str1
str1
str1
str1

* Re: keyboard macro question
@ 2009-10-02 20:15     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-10-02 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Harry,

> To reproduce:
> Create macro of:
>  C-u 1 C-x r n a
>  C-x r i a
>  C-x r + a

The first part (setting register a to 1) must not be part of the macro,
but must be done beforehand.  Else, each time the macro executes,
register a will be set to 1, then you insert the 1, and then you
increment it to 2.

So here's how to do it:

  C-u 1 C-x r n a    ;; Set register a to 1
  F3                 ;; Start definition of a macro
  C-x r i a          ;; insert value of register a
  C-x r + a          ;; Increment register a
  F4                 ;; End macro definition

Then any additional F4 will insert 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ...

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: keyboard macro question
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-10-03  2:04 ` Eric
       [not found] ` <d9407676-bb83-46a4-9804-0450cc190b59@v37g2000prg.googlegroups.com>
From: Eric @ 2009-10-03  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct 2, 10:05 pm, Benjamin <jben...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I use keyboard macros fairly frequently, but I often run into a
> situation where I would like to increment a number in the macro, e.g.,
> if I start with:

Keyboard Macro Counters! That's what they're there for:

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Keyboard-Macro-Counter.html

Eric

> tmp tmp tmp tmp
>
> and I want to end with:
> tmp1
> tmp2
> tmp3
> tmp4
>
> I know how to create the macro where it would result in:
> tmp1
> tmp1
> tmp1
> tmp1
>
> Is there a way to make the number increment each time the macro is
> executed?
> Otherwise I am forced to step down through each line and manually put
> the numbers in 1, 2, 3, 4, ...
> Naturally this is a greatly shortened example for illustration
> purposes, and often the incrementing takes place within a longer
> statement e.g.,  tmp(:,1) = function(x,y).  My interest here is how to
> increment or decrement the number in a more automatic fashion.
>
> I don't mind doing something other than macros, or even external
> commands (perl/sed/awk, etc.)
> to assist with this.
>
> Thanks,
> -Ben

* Re: keyboard macro question
       [not found] ` <d9407676-bb83-46a4-9804-0450cc190b59@v37g2000prg.googlegroups.com>
@ 2009-10-18  1:46   ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2009-10-18  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <d9407676-bb83-46a4-9804-0450cc190b59@v37g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
Xah Lee  <xahlee@gmail.com> wrote:

Please -- I know you love your nice control-chars your posts
always include, but it sure makes it near IMPOSSIBLE for us
to read, or especially to NICELY save, them.

Suggestion:

Each post you make, DOUBLE it: first part "your way", then
a dashed line or lines, then again, but without that stuff
in it.  Just plain ascii, minus any within-line control-chars.

(Presumably you take the trouble to write your posts, to think
them through, etc, because you want us to READ them, to BENEFIT
from them, perhaps to even SAVE them.  Seems to me that it would
thus be to YOUR benefit to make them as easy as possible to read,
and likewise to save away, maybe even for OTHERS to read (attributed
to you, of course).)

Thanks for at least considering the above.

David

* Re: keyboard macro question
@ 2009-10-18 17:40     ` Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2009-10-18 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct 17, 6:46 pm, dkco...@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:
> In article <d9407676-bb83-46a4-9804-0450cc190...@v37g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
> Xah Lee  <xah...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Please -- I know you love your nice control-chars your posts
> always include, but it sure makes it near IMPOSSIBLE for us
> to read, or especially to NICELY save, them.
>
> Suggestion:
>
> Each post you make, DOUBLE it: first part "your way", then
> a dashed line or lines, then again, but without that stuff
> in it.  Just plain ascii, minus any within-line control-chars.
>
> (Presumably you take the trouble to write your posts, to think
> them through, etc, because you want us to READ them, to BENEFIT
> from them, perhaps to even SAVE them.  Seems to me that it would
> thus be to YOUR benefit to make them as easy as possible to read,
> and likewise to save away, maybe even for OTHERS to read (attributed
> to you, of course).)
>
> Thanks for at least considering the above.

Hi David,

was it you who wrote me at least twice about this issue in the past in
separate times?

If i didn't recall incorrectly, i never got any reasons what is the
problem.

The "control chars" you mention, are unicode characters, and pretty
standard ones, such as curly quotes and bullets.

I wrote all my posts using just emacs, and they show correctly in just
about all web browsers from groups.google.com. There is no problem in
copy and pasting them, nor can i imagine there any problem in saving
them as file, in any of Windows, Mac, or linux. the encoding used is
utf-8, default in mac, linuxes, and fully supported Windows.

unicode is charset in langs like xml, java... etc.

can you be explicit exactly what is the problem? is it some news
reader that does not support unicode? i haven't tried, but it'd be a
major shame if u telling me emacs+gnus or Mozilla's Thunderbird does
not support unicode out of the box?

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 12+ messages in thread

* Re: keyboard macro question
@ 2009-11-12  3:12       ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2009-11-12  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <cd68dc3d-ccfa-48a0-bbac-8bc923e38bd5@u16g2000pru.googlegroups.com>,
Xah Lee  <xahlee@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Oct 17, 6:46 pm, dkco...@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:
>> In article <d9407676-bb83-46a4-9804-0450cc190...@v37g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
>> Xah Lee  <xah...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Please -- I know you love your nice control-chars your posts
>> always include, but it sure makes it near IMPOSSIBLE for us
>> to read, or especially to NICELY save, them.
>>
>> Suggestion:
>>
>> Each post you make, DOUBLE it: first part "your way", then
>> a dashed line or lines, then again, but without that stuff
>> in it.  Just plain ascii, minus any within-line control-chars.
>>
>> (Presumably you take the trouble to write your posts, to think
>> them through, etc, because you want us to READ them, to BENEFIT
>> from them, perhaps to even SAVE them.  Seems to me that it would
>> thus be to YOUR benefit to make them as easy as possible to read,
>> and likewise to save away, maybe even for OTHERS to read (attributed
>> to you, of course).)
>>
>> Thanks for at least considering the above.
>
>Hi David,
>
>was it you who wrote me at least twice about this issue in the past in
>separate times?
>
>If i didn't recall incorrectly, i never got any reasons what is the
>problem.
>
>The "control chars" you mention, are unicode characters, and pretty
>standard ones, such as curly quotes and bullets.
>
>I wrote all my posts using just emacs, and they show correctly in just
>about all web browsers from groups.google.com. There is no problem in
>copy and pasting them, nor can i imagine there any problem in saving
>them as file, in any of Windows, Mac, or linux. the encoding used is
>utf-8, default in mac, linuxes, and fully supported Windows.
>
>unicode is charset in langs like xml, java... etc.
>
>can you be explicit exactly what is the problem? is it some news
>reader that does not support unicode? i haven't tried, but it'd be a
>major shame if u telling me emacs+gnus or Mozilla's Thunderbird does
>not support unicode out of the box?
>
>  Xah
>∑ http://xahlee.org/
>
>☄

You're writing for a web-browser?

I don't use a web-browser for newsgroups -- I use "trn4".

And with that, your unicode orwhatever looks pretty bad,
unreadable in some cases.

How about  writing for just  plain old ascii terminals, eg
adm3a or vt-100 --  isn't that the working assumption for
newsgroup text?

David

* Re: keyboard macro question
@ 2009-11-13 18:36         ` Lars Enderin
From: Lars Enderin @ 2009-11-13 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David Combs wrote:

> You're writing for a web-browser?

Thunderbird is a mail and news client, not a browser, although it can
show HTML-formatted messages.

> I don't use a web-browser for newsgroups -- I use "trn4".

You should upgrade, or accept being left behind,

> And with that, your unicode orwhatever looks pretty bad,
> unreadable in some cases.

Unicode is not necessary in Usenet posts, I'll give you that, but I hope
that you won't insist on 7-bit us-ascii text. That is too US-parochial.
I use ISO-8859-1 (ISO Latin 1) because I need it for my Swedish alphabet
  (a-z plus åäö, mostly), but Thunderbird is capable of showing Unicode
if necessary. Most modern Linuxes, e g Ubuntu, use UTF-8 by default, by
the way.

> How about  writing for just  plain old ascii terminals, eg
> adm3a or vt-100 --  isn't that the working assumption for
> newsgroup text?

That is too limiting.