Thanks for giving a wider picture for what is going on. let me first fix the PATH. I noticed when I fired up cmd.exe and type aspell that it says "aspell is not recognized as internal or external command", so I went to the OS env var and added the location of aspell to the path like this ";C:\Program Files\Aspell\bin\" with out the (""), since this is the location I have to go to to fire up aspell. but when I go back to my C:\Documents and Settings\unsername> and typ aspell, it still gives me the same error as above. On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 8:21 AM, Xah Lee wrote: > Sam, > > load-path is not relevant. The relevant vars discussed is exec-path and the > PATH env var. > > exec-path in emacs is the var that tells emacs which paths to search to > locate external programs. > > The PATH env var serves similar function in the OS's shell. It must be set > correctly. > > But also, emacs also needs to use the OS's PATH env var, and must inherited > it correctly, as emacs does not always inherit it correctly due to various > complications such as where or how you launched emacs, OS differences, etc. > > Emacs's load-path is a set of paths for emacs to locate elisp files. It is > irrevalent here. > > i gave code in previous message on how you set exec-path and PATH. > > you gotta pay attention to details here if you want to use emacs. > > PS but note to emacs developers, it'd be really good to god damn include > the essential unix utils as used by emacs. Their executable are tiny by > today's standards, and saves huge amount of headache. In particular, spell > checking is essential to emacs. On linuxes, all's peach n cream. But > unfortunately, linux is used by minority however you count it. On OS X, it's > also a pain with spell checking, as there are lots questions about getting > it to work or how to use OS X's bundled spell checker that's far superior, > yet nigh impossible to get emacs to use. On Windows, getting spell checking > to work is a pain in the ass. Not possible unless you have fair degree of > sys admin expertise and some emacs know how about all the path vars and > mechanisms, AND, have the time to tech geek for fucking hours to get it to > work (installing cygwin, dig into cygwin's interactions with OS, sundries > minor compatibility issues, researching MinWGW and alternative unix binaries > for Windows, dig into online forums ... ). Spell checking works out of the > box on any commercial editor today. > > Xah > ∑ http://xahlee.org/ > > ☄ > > > On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 1:51 PM, sam jesse wrote: > >> I am still trying to fix my spelling feature in emacs running on my >> windows XP. >> when I hit M-$ I get >> >> Starting new Ispell process [default] ... >> apply: Searching for program: no such file or directory, aspell >> >> in the trace. >> >> I can run aspell from >> C:\Program Files\Aspell\bin> >> >> I have >> "C:/Program Files/Aspell" "C:/Program Files/Aspell/bin" >> in my load-path >> >> and also I have aspell as the value of the variable ispell-program-name >> >> what am I missing? >> >> >> On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 10:10 AM, Xah Lee wrote: >> >>> btw, recently someone posted a question about how to use hunspell. >>> >>> I'd very much interested in that... i did some 1 hour research on >>> wikipedia about this in the past month... hunspell seems to be the >>> best one and used in opera, firefox etc. >>> >>> anyone has tried to make it work with emacs? >>> >>> Xah >>> ∑ http://xahlee.org/ >>> >>> ☄ >>> >> >> > > > -- > Xah > ∑ http://xahlee.org/ >