all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* style and mode on Window XP
@ 2009-06-14  3:12 sam jesse
From: sam jesse @ 2009-06-14  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi guys

I downloaded and installed GNU emacs 22.3.1 i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600 on windows
XP pro.

Since I used it before “6 years ago” on a Linux box and absolutely loved it,
I want to use it again.

I need a refresher on how to get a php-mode up and running and where to get
a nice dark “black” background schema style “already set up for the rest of
the colors” on this XP box.

thx

* Re: style and mode on Window XP
       [not found] <mailman.599.1244953260.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-06-14 12:09 ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2009-06-14 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

sam jesse wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> I downloaded and installed GNU emacs 22.3.1 i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600 on windows
> XP pro.
>
> Since I used it before “6 years ago” on a Linux box and absolutely loved it,
> I want to use it again.
>
> I need a refresher on how to get a php-mode up and running and where to get
> a nice dark “black” background schema style “already set up for the rest of
> the colors” on this XP box.
>
> thx

Instructions are here:

http://php-mode.sourceforge.net/php-mode.pdf

for display colors see Emacs manual ( C-h r) Emacs Invocation C.8 Colors

* Re: style and mode on Window XP
@ 2009-06-14 14:17   ` Nurullah Akkaya
       [not found]     ` <mailman.640.1245054251.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nurullah Akkaya @ 2009-06-14 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 3:09 PM, B. T. Raven <nihil@nihilo.net> wrote:

> sam jesse wrote:
>
>> Hi guys
>>
>> I downloaded and installed GNU emacs 22.3.1 i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600 on
>> windows
>> XP pro.
>>
>> Since I used it before “6 years ago” on a Linux box and absolutely loved
>> it,
>> I want to use it again.
>>
>> I need a refresher on how to get a php-mode up and running and where to
>> get
>> a nice dark “black” background schema style “already set up for the rest
>> of
>> the colors” on this XP box.
>>
>> thx
>>

> Instructions are here:
>
> http://php-mode.sourceforge.net/php-mode.pdf
>
> for display colors see Emacs manual ( C-h r) Emacs Invocation C.8 Colors

Also check out,

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ColorTheme

--
Nurullah Akkaya
http://nakkaya.com

* Re: style and mode on Window XP
@ 2009-06-14 21:04     ` sam jesse
       [not found]     ` <mailman.640.1245054251.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: sam jesse @ 2009-06-14 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Nurullah Akkaya; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 12:17 AM, Nurullah Akkaya <nurullah@nakkaya.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 3:09 PM, B. T. Raven <nihil@nihilo.net> wrote:
>
>> sam jesse wrote:
>>
>>> Hi guys
>>>
>>> I downloaded and installed GNU emacs 22.3.1 i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600 on
>>> windows
>>> XP pro.
>>>
>>> Since I used it before “6 years ago” on a Linux box and absolutely loved
>>> it,
>>> I want to use it again.
>>>
>>> I need a refresher on how to get a php-mode up and running and where to
>>> get
>>> a nice dark “black” background schema style “already set up for the rest
>>> of
>>> the colors” on this XP box.
>>>
>>> thx
>>>

>> Instructions are here:
>>
>> http://php-mode.sourceforge.net/php-mode.pdf
>>
>> for display colors see Emacs manual ( C-h r) Emacs Invocation C.8 Colors
>>

> Also check out,
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ColorTheme

will it work on Windows XP? I could not find any installation for Windows in
its Docs.

@ 2009-07-10  1:45       ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2009-07-10  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On windows, by ALL MEANS, use "NTEMACS", NOT "emacs"-compiled-etc-for-windows.

There's an emacs that you can get via cygwin -- at least for me, it
really sucks!  Small window, impossible to go full-screen, plus lots
of problems.

But NTEMACS (the NT means the ancient "windows NT", the first windows os
that you could get things like emacs to work on) -- apparently it's a
*separate* emacs, specially hacked (not just compiled) for windows.

After using the cygwin-emacs for a while (very, very unfriendly, especially
the ungrowable window it worked in), I tried NTemacs -- WOW! Couldn't tell
the difference emacs there and on a REAL computer-and-os!

What a wonderful, wonderful discovery!

David

* Re: style and mode on Window XP
@ 2009-07-10  2:43         ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2009-07-10  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jul 10, 9:45 am, dkco...@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

> But NTEMACS (the NT means the ancient "windows NT", the first windows os
> that you could get things like emacs to work on) -- apparently it's a
> *separate* emacs, specially hacked (not just compiled) for windows.

You are confusing things. The native Windows port you are talking
about is not separate, and the name ntemacs is obsolete, since it was
merged with the main emacs repository almost 15 years ago.

The version string "emacs 22.3.1 i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600" shows that the
OP is already using the native port, and not a cygwin build.

* Re: style and mode on Window XP
@ 2009-08-07  4:42           ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2009-08-07  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs