all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Automatic matching parenthesis
@ 2009-03-15 23:31 christopher.morris.cm
From: christopher.morris.cm @ 2009-03-15 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

added these lines to my .emacs-file, so that parenthesis are
automatically matched:
(setq skeleton-pair t)
(global-set-key (kbd "(") 'skeleton-pair-insert-maybe)
(global-set-key (kbd "{") 'skeleton-pair-insert-maybe)

But it does not work in cc-mode. Any idea?

Regards,

Chris

* Re: Automatic matching parenthesis
@ 2009-03-16 10:24 ` Andy Stewart
       [not found] ` <mailman.3311.1237199154.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Andy Stewart @ 2009-03-16 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"christopher.morris.cm@googlemail.com"
<christopher.morris.cm@googlemail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> added these lines to my .emacs-file, so that parenthesis are
> automatically matched:
> (setq skeleton-pair t)
> (global-set-key (kbd "(") 'skeleton-pair-insert-maybe)
> (global-set-key (kbd "{") 'skeleton-pair-insert-maybe)
>
> But it does not work in cc-mode. Any idea?
Why not use paredit.el?
At http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ParEdit

It can complete your parenthesis, it won't complete paranthesis when you
type in comment.

I think paredit.el is very nice for parenthesis completion.

Regards,

  -- Andy

@ 2009-03-16 11:02   ` christopher.morris.cm
From: christopher.morris.cm @ 2009-03-16 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 16 Mrz., 11:24, Andy Stewart <lazycat.mana...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "christopher.morris...@googlemail.com"
>
> <christopher.morris...@googlemail.com> writes:
> > Hi,
>
> > added these lines to my .emacs-file, so that parenthesis are
> > automatically matched:
> > (setq skeleton-pair t)
> > (global-set-key (kbd "(") 'skeleton-pair-insert-maybe)
> > (global-set-key (kbd "{") 'skeleton-pair-insert-maybe)
>
> > But it does not work in cc-mode. Any idea?
>
> Why not use paredit.el?
> Athttp://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ParEdit
>
> It can complete your parenthesis, it won't complete paranthesis when you
> type in comment.
>
> I think paredit.el is very nice for parenthesis completion.
>
> Regards,
>
>   -- Andy

Thanks alot. But I cant figure out, how to enable paredit alway in c-
mode. I tried:
(add-hook c-mode-hook (lambda () (paredit-mode +1))). I get an error
message starting up emacs. Any idea?

@ 2009-03-16 11:24     ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2009-03-16 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

christopher.morris.cm@googlemail.com <christopher.morris.cm@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 16 Mrz., 11:24, Andy Stewart <lazycat.mana...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> "christopher.morris...@googlemail.com"

>> <christopher.morris...@googlemail.com> writes:
>> > Hi,

> Thanks alot. But I cant figure out, how to enable paredit alway in c-
> mode. I tried:

> (add-hook c-mode-hook (lambda () (paredit-mode +1))). I get an error
> message starting up emacs. Any idea?

Yes.  You've forgotten the tick.  Try this:

    (add-hook 'c-mode-hook (lambda () (paredit-mode +1)))
              ^

HOWEVER: just as a tip for the future, you're more likely to get useful
help if you post the actual error message rather than just saying "I get
an error message ....".

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

@ 2009-03-16 11:36 ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2009-03-16 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

christopher.morris.cm@googlemail.com <christopher.morris.cm@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,

> added these lines to my .emacs-file, so that parenthesis are
> automatically matched:
> (setq skeleton-pair t)
> (global-set-key (kbd "(") 'skeleton-pair-insert-maybe)
> (global-set-key (kbd "{") 'skeleton-pair-insert-maybe)

> But it does not work in cc-mode. Any idea?

Yes.  You've bound these keys in the global keymap.  However, CC Mode has
bound these keys in its local keymaps, and these take precedence over the
global keymap.  This is explained (a bit) on page "Keymaps" in the Emacs
manual, and explained much more thoroughly on the page "Keymaps" in the
Elisp manual.

Be aware that the CC Mode bindings for '(' and '{' have "electric"
action: they optionally trigger things like (re)indentation of the
current line, when appropriate.  This is explained in the CC Mode manual
on the page "Electric Keys".  If you rebind these keys, you will lose
this electric action.

--

@ 2009-03-18  4:05     ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2009-03-18  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

christopher.morris.cm@googlemail.com wrote:
> On 16 Mrz., 11:24, Andy Stewart <lazycat.mana...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> "christopher.morris...@googlemail.com"
>>
>> <christopher.morris...@googlemail.com> writes:
>>> Hi,
>>> added these lines to my .emacs-file, so that parenthesis are
>>> automatically matched:
>>> (setq skeleton-pair t)
>>> (global-set-key (kbd "(") 'skeleton-pair-insert-maybe)
>>> (global-set-key (kbd "{") 'skeleton-pair-insert-maybe)
>>> But it does not work in cc-mode. Any idea?
>> Why not use paredit.el?
>> Athttp://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ParEdit
>>
>> It can complete your parenthesis, it won't complete paranthesis when you
>> type in comment.
>>
>> I think paredit.el is very nice for parenthesis completion.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>>   -- Andy
>
> Thanks alot. But I cant figure out, how to enable paredit alway in c-
> mode. I tried:
> (add-hook c-mode-hook (lambda () (paredit-mode +1))). I get an error
> message starting up emacs. Any idea?

emacs --debug-init will show you the error, and then you can show us so
we don't have to guess.

But one thing is apparent: add-hook is a function, so all its arguments
are evaluated, so you need to quote the c-mode-hook symbol:

(add-hook 'c-mode-hook (lambda () (paredit-mode +1)))

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA